Murray 24583 40" snow thrower worm drive question

beaverplt

Threads
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingsnowblower.jpg. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Thanks

Jack17

Threads
Hi BP.
Look closely at the worm part of it. See where most of wear is happening? I think that a bushing of sort is missing all the way on the right side, right before spacer/sleeve bearing that engages gear housing. If you were to insert something there the whole gap marked in blue would disappear.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you get the parts determined , i recommend replacing the worm drive as well as the spur gear . A new gear won't correct the worm drive problem but the worm drive problem will cause the gear to fail prematurely .

beaverplt

Threads
If you get the parts determined , i recommend replacing the worm drive as well as the spur gear . A new gear won't correct the worm drive problem but the worm drive problem will cause the gear to fail prematurely .
That was my original intention after seeing the damage caused when I disassembled the unit. Unfortunately, due to the age of the blower, all those items are discontinued. The brass gear was easy as it is the same gear used in many MTD blowers. I've not found another worm gear yet. With more snow coming, I've got to get this thing useable soon.

beaverplt

Threads
I might have found a worm gear shaft that is the same size. I'm waiting for an answer to a question I asked about the size. If it is the correct size, then all I need to do is get the current impeller off of the shaft. I've been attempting that over the past two days. It's so rusted on that all the PB blaster and heat I've tried are not budging it. So, I might be looking for an impeller as well.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've taken a few parts apart that seemed stuck forever but i can't find a murray impeller and shaft to look at and possibly determine what you're up against .

Last edited:

beaverplt

Threads
Over the past week, I've tried everything I know of short of cutting the impeller off. Obviously, that would require a new impeller along with a shaft. I'm going back to a thought I had about getting a shim in the gap. I'll see where that thought takes me.

kjonxx

Threads
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingView attachment 67649. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Thanks
Looks like half the rear bushing is gone, also to remove the impeller I have cut along tube with cutting wheel then after its off weld it back up when its on the shaft.

barny57

Threads
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingView attachment 67649. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Thanks
Yeah where the guys got it outlined in blue you’re missing something they’re probably a plastic spacer

RevB

Threads
You
In the recent round of snowstorms here in Wisconsin, the brass auger gear inside the worm drive shredded. I got a new gear and ran into what I think is a problem with the reassembly. The collar on one side of the worm gear is not held in tightly. I've marked the area in blue in the picture. It looks like there's a flange missing. I'm sure I didn't lose any parts, but just in case I've looked all over my workspace and can't find anything that might remotely resemble a flange. Of course, there isn't a schematic for this particular assembly for me to be sure it is missingView attachment 67649. At this point, I'm wondering if I can shim the collar to fit tighter to the roll pin. Than
You were never supposed to open this thing up...🤫, it was only sold as a unit. What crappy engineering. The roll pin kind of intimates that the worm is replaceable. Wherever you got the gear enquire if there is a matching worm. Failing that, take some measurements and see if there is a worm that comes close dimensionally. May have to cut it down in length or bore it out but a machine shop can handle that....unless you're a machinist. Or look for a set that can be adapted.