Murray 24583 40" snow thrower worm drive question

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It also can be the wrong kinda of heat. You must heat fast and localized as you can. Otherwords a propane bottle torch just won't do.

It is sorta like the silver solder job I did a couple days. Using a different stronger silver solder a propane torch just barely soften the solder although the rest of what was heated was nearly hot enough. I switch over to my ACE/Ox welder and it immediately melted and seeped into the joint. I using 45% silver solder due to high vibration joint area on a compressor.

And if you are good you can even use ACE/Ox torch to cut pulleys off without damaging the metal shafts and the seals.

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If we heat the hub portion that's stuck it can't expand because the outer periphery hasn't expanded . Example : with a 4ft.diameter bull wheel that weighs a few hundred the outer rim is heated with a couple of rose buds and the torches heating down the spokes occasionally . Sometimes they will come loose while we can still hold the hub in our hand .That propeller is no different when using heat . Heating a turbo charger propeller at the hub first will crack that expensive piece of special metal nearly every time .

beaverplt

Threads
I don't have an oxy/acetylene unit available. I tried the propane torch, heating the impeller, hoping to make it expand off the shaft. At this point it's a moot point. I've got it back together and will see what happens. I'm pretty confident that my solution will work. Time will tell.

Castleford

Threads
I don't have an oxy/acetylene unit available. I tried the propane torch, heating the impeller, hoping to make it expand off the shaft. At this point it's a moot point. I've got it back together and will see what happens. I'm pretty confident that my solution will work. Time will tell.
I've had the same problem as you (getting the impeller off the shaft).
I was lucky enough to acquire a 20 ton press years ago and with a combination of heat & penetrating oil
the press got it off.
I used a method that an older fellow showed me years ago which was to assemble the shaft and impeller/flywheel assembly whatever in the press and apply as much pressure as you deem safe/appropriate.
Don't worry if it doesn't pop right off.....I was told by my teacher, " just leave it like that over night & many times when you come back the next day it will have popped off overnight"
If after 24 hours it's still stuck try a combination of heat and rapping around the collar with a ball peen hammer.
In my case I left the assembly overnight and while working in the shop the next afternoon it popped off while my back was turned, a godawfull loud report like a gun shot......