MTD drive belt slipping off???

Ya, I had thought that at first too....It is the right belt, I had to go to Tractor Supply and get the right one....Also it is on the right way just seems like the pulley is not putting enough tension on the belt....When I pull the pulley back it has good strength with the spring but maybe it is not applying enough pressure on the belt ???
Ah I see. It sounds like the tensioner isn't tightening the belt enough, as you said.

If it isn't too expensive, I'd replace the tensioner.
 
Sooo I have been out messing with the mower and pulleys underneath and I think I may have found out why. The belt seems to stay on the mower when I apply backward pressure to the clutch. So after messing around with some things I think just maybe the rod that goes from the clutch to the pulley system needs to be tightened up and then that will supply efficient pressure on the pulley to make the belt stay on???
 
Make sure you have missed any of the belt guides or stays that make it stay in place on the long run of the belt , or at turns . Something is letting the belt slip off . The belt stays look like thick wire coat hangers bent in L shapes .
 
Re: MTD drive belt slipping off??? I have the same problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ones I've dealt with have a shouldered bolt through a hole in the deck with a nut on the bottom of the deck. The idler bracket pivots on that bolt and by having spring tension when engaged that hole in the bracket often becomes a worn and egg shaped. No lube for that point on less expensive tractors. The bearing and pulley usually aren't the problem but the bearing can be binding when under load so don't rule that out completely.

Here is a tip. If the back side of the belt runs on the idler, the idler will be a flat bottom. Look at the pulley to see where the belt has been running. That area will be polished and shine. If the belt has been running close to one edge of the pulley rather than close to centered you may have found the problem and that takes us back to improper alignment.

I have the same problem. Seems like the keeper pin holds the back drive belt on ok but it slips off on the back pulley. Idler pulley seems ok with a bit of play but no adjustment and seems bearings ok in it to. It only jumps when I put it in gear. Frustrated to.
 
Mine was doing the same thing when I put a new belt on. Looked it over close and saw that the belt had twisted, took the twist out...all is good
 
Back
Top