Mower leaving 1 or 2 blades of grass standing

So the belt under the deck is not connected to the blades at all?

The belt probably just drives the transmission for self-propel. The blades are bolted directly to the engine's crankshaft. E.G., if the belt failed, you'd still be able to mow, but no self-propel.
 
Just got the mower back from getting a tune up at the local hardware store. Took it out to see if it works any better and it's not any better. What am I missing here? Something can't be right for it to be working fine in the spring and now in the summer it's not working quite right.
 
It also seems to get worse the higher I put the deck up. Does that mean that it's not getting the correct lift from the blade? I've opened up the side chute to see if that helps while having the mulching plug in and that seems to help a little but I still have blades not being cut and bent over.
 
I have been thinking about this for a while. So here goes what I have been seeing and hearing from friends and people on the forum. This seems to be an issue with grass being weaker as the summer goes on. I think it is the grass we are cutting and not the mowers. I have a lawn that started doing this so I would double cut it. 2 weeks ago they found out the watering system was not working. Now the grass is back to normal and the cutting is also. Now this is just my opinion and you can take it or leave it.
 
I would agree with that to an extent. The part of my yard that is doing well and thriving is still leaving pieces of grass uncut. I will take a picture tomorrow morning to show you what my yard looks like after mowing.

I was told to replace the spark plug and I haven't done that yet. Could that really be causing something like this? Is there a way to tell if the spark plug needs to be replaced?
 
Ok, took my mower into the local John Deere. I'll see if they can figure something out. Otherwise I might just trade it in for something new. Any suggestions on a decent mid range self propelled john deere mower?
 
Back
Top