Motor will not turn over?

tim2

Threads
Carscw, that would be an offer I could not refuse but I live in Hinesville. So we are more then 4 hours apart. If I cannot figure it out I might load it up on a trailer and drag it to Powder Springs and take you up on the offer. I am getting ready to fire up the coffee pot for my wife and head to the garage and take another look for the fuse and safety switch connections and try jumping them across to see if that does anything. I will keep you posted.

tim2

Threads
If I find the fuse holder and it is empty what amperage fuse should be in it? I am going out the door now. Will be back in a few to let you know what I find.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I find the fuse holder and it is empty what amperage fuse should be in it? I am going out the door now. Will be back in a few to let you know what I find.

I use a 20amp fuse.

tim2

Threads
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO..... I cannot say what I found is going to fix the problem but it sure narrows it down. The fuse holed is under the seat behind the battery. The previous owner has the wires cut up and lots of nicks through the coating and there is no buss fuse in the holder. So I will be rewiring the fuse holder so it is making a good connection. If anyone knows what amp fuse should be in there I might be able to attempt to start the engine later today. Thanks for all the help and guidance so far, hope someone knows what size fuse it needs. Again thank you so very much.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use 30amp fuse. All always seen 30amp fuses in riding mowers.

tim2

Threads
Thank you Carscw...... I will get after it in a bit and let you know how it woks out.

tim2

Threads
Its alive........... I rewired the fuse holder put in a 30 amp fuse installed the battery and crossed my fingers. Turned the key and the motor turned over!!!!!!!!!! Now I need to wait for the sun to come up and I will attempt to start her up and cut a little winter rye grass that is growing crazy in the back of the house. Again thanks to everyone that has pointed my in the correct direction to get it to at least turn over like it is suppose too.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its alive........... I rewired the fuse holder put in a 30 amp fuse installed the battery and crossed my fingers. Turned the key and the motor turned over!!!!!!!!!! Now I need to wait for the sun to come up and I will attempt to start her up and cut a little winter rye grass that is growing crazy in the back of the house. Again thanks to everyone that has pointed my in the correct direction to get it to at least turn over like it is suppose too.

Good job. Let's us know how it runs.
I use a 20 amp fuse because a 30 amp will still let a wire melt or get week.

tim2

Threads
Well yesterday got very busy and I did not get home until late. I attempted to start the mower and it keeps back firing through the carb. So what did I do, sat there looking at it and drank a beer! I am thinking I either missed the timing by one revolution or one of the valve push rods is not making contact with the valve. Any other suggestions? We have a BBQ going this afternoon with some neighbors so that will limit my time again today. I am thinking about pulling the motor and opening it back up and removing the drive gear for the valves and rotating the crank one revolution, reassembling, mount motor and try to restart again. Let me know what you think you all have been a great help so far.

tim2

Threads
My latest brainstorm. Could I just pull the head and then rotate the piston one complete revolution and reinstall the head? I am thinking instead of a complete motor removal and disassembly that this might work also. Let me know what you guys think.