Motor will not turn over?

tim2

Threads
I have a Bolens model number 13AM762F065, it was torn apart when I got it. The deck was off as well as missing a bunch of parts. The motor could not be turned over by hand. I ordered a bunch of parts and rebuilt the deck and drive system and mounted the deck. I tore into the motor to find the connecting rod broken, ordered it and most everything inside the engine and rebuilt it then remounted the motor. Now I cannot get the engine to turn over using the ignition switch, it will turn over if I run a hot wire from the battery to the started. I have not been able to get the spark plug to fire at all even though I cleaned the magneto and flywheel. I am thinking it must be a safety switch and hope that somebody can give me an idea of where the four switches are? If you have any other suggestions on what to check jump on in here and let me know.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you jump the starter solonoid? If not it might be a bad solonoid. If so it might a bad ignition switch. Will the engine turn over with key when the parking brake is on? Far as safety switches you have clutch/brake, seat, PTO/blade, and if it hydro theres switch for it also. Have you checked the fuse?

tim2

Threads
I put a brand new starter on the engine, I am not sure were the solenoid is located. The ignition switch has been tested and is good. The motor will not turn over using the key at all, even sitting on the seat with the brake pedal pushed all the way down. What fuse and where is it located? I can check that today if it ever stops raining here.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Follow the thick red wire coming off the starter to the solonoid. Just hit both threaded posts with a screwdriver. The fuse holder will be in the wiring harness under/behind the dash/steering wheel. Try putting parking brake on and see if it will turn over.

tim2

Threads
Well no new help. I looked for a fuse like the last poster said to, no fuse. Traced the red wire from the starter, cannot find a solenoid. The motor will not if a gorilla sits on the seat with the brake pedal depressed. I am sure hoping someone else chimes in soon with some help as my grass is in need of cutting.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post your engine number and mower model serial numbers so we can better help you.

tybilly

Threads
take out your battery the solenoid may be under the fender wall,the fuse maybe close to that

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Follow the thick red wire (cable ) from the battery

tim2

Threads
Thanks for a few more replies. The Georgia weather is not helping much right now, cool and raining for the third day in a row. The mower is a Bolens 38" cut model# 13AM762F065. Briggs & Stratton 31A607-0458-E1. I will get out there in a little bit and do some more looking around and remove the battery again and see what I might have missed under the fender wells. Hopefully I might run into the fuse or solenoid, and the fuse is bad and that is the problem. I am really hoping it is a safety switch that I just have not tracked down yet. The previous owner really took this mower down to nuts and bolts and never reassembled anything. It really acts like one of the safety switches because when you sit on the seat, hold the brake down and turn the key you get nothing from the engine at all. If I run a hot wire from the battery to the starter the motor turns over fine but does not have any spark. I sure hope this LONG post gives someone else amore insight to what I am dealing with. Thanks for your replies and help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for a few more replies. The Georgia weather is not helping much right now, cool and raining for the third day in a row. The mower is a Bolens 38" cut model# 13AM762F065. Briggs & Stratton 31A607-0458-E1. I will get out there in a little bit and do some more looking around and remove the battery again and see what I might have missed under the fender wells. Hopefully I might run into the fuse or solenoid, and the fuse is bad and that is the problem. I am really hoping it is a safety switch that I just have not tracked down yet. The previous owner really took this mower down to nuts and bolts and never reassembled anything. It really acts like one of the safety switches because when you sit on the seat, hold the brake down and turn the key you get nothing from the engine at all. If I run a hot wire from the battery to the starter the motor turns over fine but does not have any spark. I sure hope this LONG post gives someone else amore insight to what I am dealing with. Thanks for your replies and help.

Where in ga are you?
If your close to dalton I can come give you a hand.