Most desirable blade for Cub Cadet 54"

Ohioguy

Threads
I don't know if this is a factor but mowing higher 3 1/2 to 4 inches is better for grass in hot summer. It might also get your blades above the debris that's killing them?

churchill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well Chris if you find anything that's any good please post an update. Everything I've found has been made in China from Chinese steel which has turned out to be soft and bendy. The last set I put on I heated the cutting edge with a torch until it was red then dipped in water. I'll find out at the end of the mowing season whether it had any benefit or not. I wish somebody would start up a mower blade company in the US and make stuff from US steel like they did in the days when Cub Cadets, John Deere and Sears Suburbans came with cast iron transmissions.
I with you 100% on USA made blades vs Chinese. I found this company in Ohio that advertises their blades as being made in the US. An internet search will likely bring up some more. Haven't tried this place yet because the ones I have are still good yet. Beware of ads that say engineered, designed and tested in US, and those that say made in US with "global materials". https://usamowerblades.com/

LEG1954

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks...............wasn't able to find that.
Chris, search for the sellers name “gorbyback” in eBay search bar. I found him in seconds. Don’t know how his blades are but….good luck!

Freddie21

Threads
I am under the understanding that the blades do not get sharpened razer sharp. Even new blades are a little on the dull side?

SamB

Threads
Title pretty much says it all. I invested in three new spindles which I'll soon be installing. I live on 6 acres and my mower often ends up doing a little "brush hog" work (whether I mean to or not) and I've destroyed the spindles and blades. Is there a blade most people consider to be the blade of choice for the Cub Cadet 54"?
After buying several sets of blades that took very little to bend them, I ran across these Oregon blades and have been quite pleased with them. Holding an edge and not bending at the slightest twig are far superior to even the OEM blades from the dealer. If you can find the correct length and correct center hole, buy 'em. I bought 2 sets (4) and rotate them as needed. Well, I actually swap them, not rotate them. :) As a side note, I ,too, am old and on SS. I've found that being too much of a tightwad will bite you in the butt. (to compensate, I just buy cheaper beer)

Attachments

• Husq Blades.jpg
    Husq Blades.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6

Chris623

Threads
Well, I ordered a set of Gator Blades from Red Dog Supply. They came in and sat in my office until I could install the new spindles. Turns out what I "thought" was a 54" mower was actually a 50" and, of course, the blades wouldn't fit. (where's the embarrassed emoji?) Contacted Red Dog Supply's customer services and asked to return them and purchase the proper blades. Absolutely my fault and I told them so. I've emailed them 7 times now with no response. Can't believe they don't have a phone number for customer service. Has anyone here on the forum dealt with Red Dog? Have to admit I'm not very happy with them.

Ohioguy

Threads
Over the years I've learned the higher you cut, the better it is for the grass and the blades.
I'm currently at 4" at pass over most sticks and other debris.

Chris623

Threads
I'll be doing that in the future.................if I can get Red Dog Supply to get me some blades!!!!!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most desirable blade for Cub Cadet 54”?
The OEM or equivalent aftermarket. That goes for every mower out there. Gator style blades are best for fall leaves and the first spring mow. They will pack the deck with clippings and leave clumps of clippings all over the lawn.