Most desirable blade for Cub Cadet 54"

Chris623

Threads
Title pretty much says it all. I invested in three new spindles which I'll soon be installing. I live on 6 acres and my mower often ends up doing a little "brush hog" work (whether I mean to or not) and I've destroyed the spindles and blades. Is there a blade most people consider to be the blade of choice for the Cub Cadet 54"?

fixit1ddh

Threads
I use standard 6 star 942-05056a highlift blades. I live on a farm so it mowes some small trees now and then. I have extra set of blades I keep sharp and change them out around 25 hours. Have 630 hour's between both sets of blades and they still look new. I mow between 5 & 7 acres. Doesn't take much after 25 hour's to sharpen back to razor sharp again.

Chris623

Threads
Thanks. Good advice coming from someone who has a similar mowing scenario as I.(y)

Chris623

Threads
I understand the 8TEN blade is a good one............but I can't seem to find that number in a high lift. Do you have the name of the brand you prefer. I know nothing beyond the 8TEN is a respected blade by many.

fixit1ddh

Threads
I get mine from ebay. And they are listed as hi lift and identical to the original blade. Ebay item # 266363194040

Chris623

Threads
Hmmmmm. Didn't find a match for that number when I did a search.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
Well Chris if you find anything that's any good please post an update. Everything I've found has been made in China from Chinese steel which has turned out to be soft and bendy. The last set I put on I heated the cutting edge with a torch until it was red then dipped in water. I'll find out at the end of the mowing season whether it had any benefit or not. I wish somebody would start up a mower blade company in the US and make stuff from US steel like they did in the days when Cub Cadets, John Deere and Sears Suburbans came with cast iron transmissions.

Chris623

Threads
Thanks...............wasn't able to find that.