Export thread

Mobile?

twall

twall

I've noticed other forums (I shall not name them), have some kind of automatic thing that allows the forum to render perfectly in a mobile browser. I noticed LMF does NOT have this.

Can it be remidied? Or is it too expensive/not avail. on this forum layout? (appreciate Muhammad's response here)

I have a smartphone, and checking forums/responding is a real pain in the current layout (when I'm not at my laptop - when I post on lunchbreaks).

- Motorola Citrus/Android 2.1 - if you need to know. I'm probably the only one here who cares about this.....:frown:

As such, I'd be happy to directly contribute $ if needbe....... Muhammad, just let me know.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I've noticed other forums (I shall not name them), have some kind of automatic thing that allows the forum to render perfectly in a mobile browser. I noticed LMF does NOT have this.

Can it be remidied? Or is it too expensive/not avail. on this forum layout? (appreciate Muhammad's response here)

I have a smartphone, and checking forums/responding is a real pain in the current layout (when I'm not at my laptop - when I post on lunchbreaks).

- Motorola Citrus/Android 2.1 - if you need to know. I'm probably the only one here who cares about this.....:frown:

As such, I'd be happy to directly contribute $ if needbe....... Muhammad, just let me know.

twall, sometimes I use my Blackberry (8330 Curve) to surf LMF, the posts I made about two hours ago, congratulating you on reaching the 100 mark, as well as the one jesting about extra credit for posts, was made from my device. I am not sure what you mean about rendering perfectly in a mobile browser...I can view the entire site, attachments and all, with nothing missing. The only thing I am missing, for some reason, is the inability to respond directly to a post, I can reply to the thread itself, but not any particular post made by a member.

K

KennyV

Tho it is not rendered perfect for mobile, it scales well on my android... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

Tho it is not rendered perfect for mobile, it scales well on my android... :smile:KennyV

Who is your service provider, and do you have 4G yet? Thanks. Have Verizon for mine but will probably never be able to get 4G where we live, which is ok.

K

KennyV

Who is your service provider, and do you have 4G yet?

I'm with Sprint... on 3G, I've been around 4G... it's quite impressive but for 99% of my use their 3G gives me more bandwidth than I really need... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm with Sprint... on 3G, I've been around 4G... it's quite impressive but for 99% of my use their 3G gives me more bandwidth than I really need... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for info, Verizon and Sprint are the major carriers where I live, cop next door used to have the same model BB I did but with Sprint. We got together one time and compared download/upload speeds with identical devices, results were so close it made us wonder exactly WHO was providing our service....:laughing:

twall

twall

Okay, here's what I'm talking about:

When I go to LMF, the site appears as if it were on my computer, only REALLY TINY. I need to zoom it in for the text to be full sized. When I do this, although the text is wrapped to fit my screen, the box (and it's associated buttons) don't move. So to submit this post, or to reply with quote, I have to scroll sideways a lot to get to the button!

Whereas, a site that detects I am on a smartphone will render the page so all the buttons are in the screen, so no sideways scrolling is needed.

This damn thing is 100% touch, without even a tracball. So I always end up accidentally clicking on something when I'm scrolling side to side. A pain for me.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Okay, here's what I'm talking about:

When I go to LMF, the site appears as if it were on my computer, only REALLY TINY. I need to zoom it in for the text to be full sized. When I do this, although the text is wrapped to fit my screen, the box (and it's associated buttons) don't move. So to submit this post, or to reply with quote, I have to scroll sideways a lot to get to the button!

Whereas, a site that detects I am on a smartphone will render the page so all the buttons are in the screen, so no sideways scrolling is needed.

This damn thing is 100% touch, without even a tracball. So I always end up accidentally clicking on something when I'm scrolling side to side. A pain for me.

twall...not sure if this will make any difference in your situation, but I do not go directly to LMF, instead I use the web browser to go to Google, and when on Google I type in a search for LMF. The Google site automatically formats web pages for a mobile device if you choose that option on their page. I understand what you mean about a touch screen device, they are overly sensistive and that is why I prefer a trackball and a small keyboard. I don't know how you are accessing this site from your smartphone so perhaps I just confused you more...sorry if that's the case.

M

Muhammad

We're going to be offering native iphone and android apps soon. We haven't added them yet because there hasn't been demand for it.

If you'd like to know how it will work, search the apple or android markets for tractorbynet and install that app. The one for LMF will be the same but for LMF. :thumbsup:

JDgreen

JDgreen

We're going to be offering native iphone and android apps soon. We haven't added them yet because there hasn't been demand for it.

If you'd like to know how it will work, search the apple or android markets for tractorbynet and install that app. The one for LMF will be the same but for LMF. :thumbsup:

Will there ever be TBN/LMF apps for us Crackberry addicts? Probably not for the older versions of the device...I am waiting to update mine until I can be sure of getting the newer BB 6 OS on the model I want. :smile:

twall

twall

..... We haven't added them yet because there hasn't been demand for it.

Not to be my typical smart a-- self (okay, i guess I will be), but what constitutes 'demand'? :laughing:

If this thread doesn't - what do we have to do.....protest? :wink:

K

KennyV

HEY thanks...
I did not know that app was available for my android.. I just installed it. Now I have to figure out where the log in page is located...
This is too good... :smile:KennyV

M

Muhammad

HEY thanks...
I did not know that app was available for my android.. I just installed it. Now I have to figure out where the log in page is located...
This is too good... :smile:KennyV

Use your phone's option button to log in.

M

Muhammad

Not to be my typical smart a-- self (okay, i guess I will be), but what constitutes 'demand'? :laughing:

If this thread doesn't - what do we have to do.....protest? :wink:

We check the stats and see how many people are accessing the site from mobile platforms. As the site traffic has been increasing, we decided to move forward with mobile versions, even though right now it's only about 300 people per month on mobile platforms and a few months ago that number was lower. By comparison, TractorByNet had 15,000 per month on mobile platforms before we launched the apps. That's not to say the threshold is 15,000 but we want to make sure there will be some use. :smile:

twall

twall

Poo. Me and kenny posted at the same time, and it seems mine got overlooked

:frown:

I'm leery of TBN. I like to participate all over the board. I don't know much about nor do I own tractor tractors......and thus wouldn't be able to contribute much I don't think.....other than being a wiseguy.

K

KennyV

Of course I was referring to the app for TBN... that I installed.
I will also be looking forward to the LMF app... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

Poo.

I'm leery of TBN. I like to participate all over the board. I don't know much about nor do I own tractor tractors......and thus wouldn't be able to contribute much I don't think.....other than being a wiseguy.

You will fit right in at TBN ... there is NO shortage of wise guys there... Most have a good time... :smile:KennyV
PS...
"Me and kenny posted at the same time, and it seems mine got overlooked"
WHO would overlook your post?

twall

twall

We check the stats and see how many people are accessing the site from mobile platforms. As the site traffic has been increasing, we decided to move forward with mobile versions, even though right now it's only about 300 people per month on mobile platforms and a few months ago that number was lower. By comparison, TractorByNet had 15,000 per month on mobile platforms before we launched the apps. That's not to say the threshold is 15,000 but we want to make sure there will be some use. :smile:

Okay, it wasn't overlooked.

I see what you mean. But, as a percentage of registered participants, is it comparable? I'd think TBN would also have 50 times the membership, too.

173abn

173abn

Twall,TBN has other forums besides tractors.It's a great site,you should check it out. russ

173abn

173abn

you beat me to it Kenny. russ

twall

twall

You will fit right in at TBN ... there is NO shortage of wise guys there... Most have a good time... :smile:KennyV

I'm sure your right, Kenny. But, you see what I mean. I like my forum participation to be well-rounded. Although all my advice may not be correct that I've given here - I like to at least THINK I know what I'm talking about. There, I wouldn't have a CLUE, and I think I'd stick out like a sore thumb. :frown:

I don't like just being a jester that don't know jack.

I'll think it over.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Twall,TBN has other forums besides tractors.It's a great site,you should check it out. russ

HECK YES, it's a great place, I don't participate in the tractor discussions that much, but on other forums like Rural Living and the Front Porch (yes it has one there too) I am very active. A few days ago I started a thread titled "Charlie Sheen, etc...Who Cares"....the responses blew me away.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm sure your right, Kenny. But, you see what I mean. I like my forum participation to be well-rounded. Although all my advice may not be correct that I've given here - I like to at least THINK I know what I'm talking about. There, I wouldn't have a CLUE, and I think I'd stick out like a sore thumb. :frown:

I don't like just being a jester that don't know jack.

I'll think it over.

I'm a jack that doesn't know jester and since mid December I have made almost 500 posts on TBN.

There is a section there for lawn care equipment too.

K

KennyV

Twall...
You are going to have to join TBN now:thumbsup:... even russ & JD think you would fit in... :smile:KennyV

twall

twall

Twall...
You are going to have to join TBN now:thumbsup:... even russ & JD think you would fit in... :smile:KennyV

So, who should I say referred me? all of you :laughing: There are sooooooo many members there...are your names the same there?

K

KennyV

So, who should I say referred me? all of you :laughing: There are sooooooo many members there...are your names the same there?

Mine is the same ... BUT just go without a referral, jump in and go...
I think we have all now hijacked this thread away from your original subject... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

Mine is the same ... BUT just go without a referral, jump in and go...
I think we have all now hijacked this thread away from your original subject... :smile:KennyV

Be interesting to have a contest to see which thread got furthest away from what it started as...hey guys, what are we gonna do if Twall gets so hooked on TBN he has no time for LMF...WHO is to blame here if that happens?

JDgreen

JDgreen

I am JDgreen227 on TBN...cannot remember ever seeing KennyV but I know russ is over there under another name.

K

KennyV

.cannot remember ever seeing KennyV but I know russ is over there under another name.

I'm usually at Kubota forums, Oil Fuel & lube or attachments, or hydraulics, or owning/operating... :smile:KennyV

M

Muhammad

Okay, it wasn't overlooked.

I see what you mean. But, as a percentage of registered participants, is it comparable? I'd think TBN would also have 50 times the membership, too.

As a percentage LMF's mobile use is about 2x higher than TBN's...

I talked to our developer today and we're hoping to have the app done within two weeks. :thumbsup:

K

KennyV

we're hoping to have the app done within two weeks. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: GREAT:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm usually at Kubota forums, Oil Fuel & lube or attachments, or hydraulics, or owning/operating... :smile:KennyV

For me, John Deere, Trailers and Transportation, Oil&Fuels, and Other forums. I always skip to the Front Porch first but anybody that knows me on LMF should automatically understand that.

twall

twall

Thanks Muhammad.

Well, it's done! I made my first post @ TBN!

JD - Can't join you in the FP yet. Have to have 50 posts first. That was probably a LONG time ago for you............

JDgreen

JDgreen

Thanks Muhammad.

Well, it's done! I made my first post @ TBN!

JD - Can't join you in the FP yet. Have to have 50 posts first. That was probably a LONG time ago for you............

GREAT!!!! CONGRATULATIONS :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::biggrin: Just look at how fast you got to 100 posts here...:laughing:

M

Muhammad

:thumbsup::thumbsup: GREAT:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

Actually, it should be done next week some time since I just sent everything to our app developer. :thumbsup:

twall

twall

Muhammad:

SWEET!!!!! Please be sure to keep us posted on it....I'll D/L it the second it's available!!

JD:

- yeah......WOW......just thought about it......I've only been here LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!

.....and I rib YOU GUYS about being addicted to forums.....:laughing:

M

Muhammad

Muhammad:

SWEET!!!!! Please be sure to keep us posted on it....I'll D/L it the second it's available!!

JD:

- yeah......WOW......just thought about it......I've only been here LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!

.....and I rib YOU GUYS about being addicted to forums.....:laughing:

If you access the forum with your iphone or android phone, you will be prompted to download the app as soon as it's available.

twall

twall

If you access the forum with your iphone or android phone, you will be prompted to download the app as soon as it's available.

Well, I do that every day at work. So...that's awesome! Thanks! I (and I'm sure others) appreciate it!

SouthCentral

SouthCentral

This is a great idea. I will definitely download the app when it's available. Will it be free?

M

Muhammad

Well guys I'm happy to report that I am posting this reply using the brand new LMF android app!

You can download and instal it by searching for "lawn" in the android marketplace. :)

Haven't confirmed that the iphone app is done yet but those of you using iphones can search.

Soon we will have an automatic prompt to download the app when you visit the forum using an iphone or android phone.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Well guys I'm happy to report that I am posting this reply using the brand new LMF android app!

You can download and instal it by searching for "lawn" in the android marketplace. :)

Haven't confirmed that the iphone app is done yet but those of you using iphones can search.

Soon we will have an automatic prompt to download the app when you visit the forum using an iphone or android phone.

Thank you for be so responsive to the concerns of the members...hmmm, maybe it's time for me to trade in my 3 year old Blackberry for a new android phone...:biggrin:

M

Madi

I am old school, I prefer to access my websites on the laptop rather than my phone. I find the phone screens far too small to be able to read it.

twall

twall

What am I doing wrong here? I can only view threads, not login, reply, or post.

I'm obviously missing something.

twall

twall

Okay. Figured it out. Use your PHONE'S menu button to login and reply. Thanks so much, Muhammad, i echo what JD said. This post is done from the app, as well!

twall

twall

Thank you for be so responsive to the concerns of the members...hmmm, maybe it's time for me to trade in my 3 year old Blackberry for a new android phone...:biggrin:

I really wouldn't, JD - I do NOT like the virtual keyboard. I can use talktext to speak what I want typed, but it isn't always accurate.

The phone, as a phone, it glitchy as well. I miss my Razr already, as far as a telephone goes. I don't like the way the contact list is set up, I don't like how it reads a wait/pause sequence (used for getting through menus on the phone w/o manually typing in the choices), and I don't like the auto speakerphone. (I know it can be shut off, but the maze of menus is always a hassle......) It senses when it's away from your ear, and switches to speaker, and doesn't always switch back.

It's a nice toy, but I wouldn't reccommend it as a cel phone. It's terrible as that.

twall

twall

Muhammad,

Can someone SIGN UP through the app? There's a button in the login screen, but not sure if you can register through the app. Should be a nice draw, through Android Market!!!

M

Muhammad

Yes, you can register from the login screen. :thumbsup:

twall

twall

I just submitted a review.......said it sux.......:laughing:

Naw, it's a great app. All I was hoping for. Might take you a bit to get used to the navigation, but it's pretty straightforward.

I'd like to encourage everyone who uses this app leave a review of it at Android Market. Yea, even if you DONT like it. (but ESPECIALLY if you do!) :smile:

M

Muhammad

We're already at 50-100 downloads. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive review. :laughing:

twall

twall

We're already at 50-100 downloads. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive review. :laughing:

Told ya it was a good idea...:biggrin:

K

KennyV

Alright ..I'm BACK ...AND I'm Mobile...