Lowballers

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I bid a cleanup and mow on a yard at $250
Guy called me says he got 3 other bids for $50. $80. $100. And that my price was to high

That was a month ago after 1 no show and two broke mowers he called me back.
I really did not even want to do it because the guy went with the guys that bid way to low so I upped my price to $350.

He asked why my price was a lot higher then the other guys.

Duh because they really can not do the job and I can.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you as the an actual professional running an established business aren't setting the price whatever it is in your area. Then the low ballers are winning, they are driving the entire market down for your area. Stay firm on your price and sell reliable service and quality. I realize there's no one perfect answer for low ballers. So I can only speak for how I work around low ballers. Most are dead beats working for beer money or whatever. Some are new comers that are still trying to figure out things and get a few customers. I just stand on my pricing and offer the take it or leave it, but let the customer know what the risks are of hiring a LCO that gave them a half or lower quote.

Exacly! My prices are according to me and I don't care about the others. I offer very good service and if you want cheaper go somewhere else, I don't care. I will always have customers ready to pay my price for good servce.

Just this year this lady asked me my price. I told her and she was interested. When mowing season started, she never phoned and what do I see at her house? A cavy, with a guy smoking on the side of the street with a Toro residential mower with a beaten up and tuck tapped bag. I understood exacly what had happened. A lowballer.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bid a cleanup and mow on a yard at $250
Guy called me says he got 3 other bids for $50. $80. $100. And that my price was to high

That was a month ago after 1 no show and two broke mowers he called me back.
I really did not even want to do it because the guy went with the guys that bid way to low so I upped my price to $350.

He asked why my price was a lot higher then the other guys.

Duh because they really can not do the job and I can.

Lol! What kind of people live in GA to not be able to mow a lawn correctly or have a decent rider? How long did the job take you in the end?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lol! What kind of people live in GA to not be able to mow a lawn correctly or have a decent rider? How long did the job take you in the end?

Took me and my wife almost 2 hours.

Lots of sticks and leaves.

Easy work for the toro grounds master.

One if the guys thought his riding mower would chop up sticks.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Took me and my wife almost 2 hours.

Lots of sticks and leaves.

Easy work for the toro grounds master.

One if the guys thought his riding mower would chop up sticks.

250$ for almost 2 hours of work is some real good money.
Anyways, that guy must be real lost when it comes to mowers. You can't cut sticks all over the place with a rider...
Do you mean Toro Zero turn? A grounds master is the real mower for golf courses...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
250$ for almost 2 hours of work is some real good money. Anyways, that guy must be real lost when it comes to mowers. You can't cut sticks all over the place with a rider... Do you mean Toro Zero turn? A grounds master is the real mower for golf courses...

Grounds master 72

You are thinking about a toro greens master.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The grounds master
Is 4wd. Rear wheel steering.

hunter5567

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any of those large machines should be $100/hr machines considering it's like 2 people working at one time.
I've made $175/hr with me and the wife working and using a snapper 21" and cutting garden homes. That's cutting 7 in a row and me doing the weedeating, edging, and blowing. Each yard might have 6-800 sq. ft. of grass to mow. You can't get any bigger equipment in there and make it to the backyard.

yardworketc

Forum Newbie
Threads
$12 might fit a yard that is 100 sq ft. Hah, hah. Prices like that are crazy of course. I haven't seen that. Is it possible to show a customer why that makes no sense unless the person is a kid borrowing the Dad's mower next door. Let them now it is all about keeping their place looking good regularly and for many years...not a fly by night gone by day approach? Anyone have any success with an approach similar to this at all?

Dave
Yardwork Etc

hunter5567

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't try to explain nothing. I don't want those cheap *** clients to begin with. There are plenty more not to have to bother with those and they will find out the hard way.