Life cycle of an engine oil around Jack's household.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Big engines run off heavy oils, small engines run off light fuels ( model aeroplanes run off either or metho )
They have injectors like fire hoses, each one individually adjusted in real time and a massive amount of momentum.
So provided the oil is clean & reasonably consistent they can handle it.
not too much different from old tractors than started on petrol then switched to kerosene ( parrafin to some ) once hot.
Ever wondered why airlines go bust as fuel prices fluctuate but shippings companies seem unaffected ?
They have jet engines that can start off burning Jet A1 then once at operating temperatures can burn reprocessed waste oil but the insurance companies will not cover the engine makers nor any airline burning waste oil.
I have a sneaking suspicion back in the 90's when domestic Russian planes were falling like rain from the skies the Soviets were trying duel fuel in their domestic jets but we will never know.

Reprocessed sump oil gets burned in a lot of locomotives as well, it is just a matter of atomising the oil so it can burn which in many cases requires significant pre heating.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
did you guess it? Bar Chain lube for my chainsaw! And this is how my used engine oil just vanishes without a trace.
Now you can laugh. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I personally would not use used engine oil in chainsaw for the bar

Used engine oil is very carcinogenic.
A test was done many years ago using a dye that could be seen under ultraviolet light.

The test involved running the saw with the dye in the bar oil tank.

The chainsaw was emitting a fine spray which was close to the face which would be breathed in.

About 100 times worse than smoking.

Jack17

Threads
I personally would not use used engine oil in chainsaw for the bar

Used engine oil is very carcinogenic.
A test was done many years ago using a dye that could be seen under ultraviolet light.

The test involved running the saw with the dye in the bar oil tank.

The chainsaw was emitting a fine spray which was close to the face which would be breathed in.

About 100 times worse than smoking.

That's gonna mess up all my carbon footprint / self-recycling program!!!:ban:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Big engines run off heavy oils, small engines run off light fuels ( model aeroplanes run off either or metho )
They have injectors like fire hoses, each one individually adjusted in real time and a massive amount of momentum.
So provided the oil is clean & reasonably consistent they can handle it.
not too much different from old tractors than started on petrol then switched to kerosene ( parrafin to some ) once hot.
Ever wondered why airlines go bust as fuel prices fluctuate but shippings companies seem unaffected ?
They have jet engines that can start off burning Jet A1 then once at operating temperatures can burn reprocessed waste oil but the insurance companies will not cover the engine makers nor any airline burning waste oil.
I have a sneaking suspicion back in the 90's when domestic Russian planes were falling like rain from the skies the Soviets were trying duel fuel in their domestic jets but we will never know.

Reprocessed sump oil gets burned in a lot of locomotives as well, it is just a matter of atomising the oil so it can burn which in many cases requires significant pre heating.

Very interesting! I had no idea about this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every now & then you come across some interesting figures.
I hold shares in BP , Shell & AOR ( Caltex down here ).
The volume of lubricating oil sales are astronomical.
The volumes of lubricating oil recycling are minuscule , around 13%.
Back when I was a metallurgist we used to burn recycled lubricating oil in all the radiant reflection furnaces.
However the price doubled from November to February ( cruise ship season ) so we found some big tanks in the scrap yard, patched them up and filled them to carry us past the peak price periods.
June to August prices go up again but not as much as the summer season.

Recycled oil is popular for oil fired power stations as well but with the local price of coal, not many of them down here.
We were payng some thing like $ 40 / ton as comparred to $ 2000 / ton for new oil. Using 6,000 tons /pa makes a bit of a difference to ones bottom line.
Down side is we had to inject oxygen into the burners to get it to burn properly and I had to manually reprofile the burners daily.

Jack17

Threads
Okay. So this is what I've learned so far...BTW, great responses and I thank you all for that.

1) Do not put used motor oil in a chainsaw because if you inhale your chainsaw you'll risk intestinal heavy metal contamination and/or bleeding.
2) Do not inhale oil mist and smoke tobacco in the same time because you're risking cancer (BIG TIME) or could catch fire and explode.
3) Do not recycle used motor oil because money hungry speculators will resell it to the shipping companies in Australia as a cheap substitute for No2 oil to be burned in the international waters where there aren't any regulations or the Russians will get it and before you know it their planes be falling out of the sky.
4) Do not try to hide used motor oil all over your backyard in plastic containers because your wife will find it, mistaking it for cooking oil, cook your steaks on it and feed you with it.
5) Do not pour used motor oil all over the jungle in a places where indigenous to the land people hang out because they might not like it and ask you to pack up and go back to England or some other Germany where your ancestors came from.

Yeah, I was confused about what to do with used motor oil but with all the answers I got back from you I think I got it now!