Lawn Mower Won't Stop Running

joespezia

Forum Newbie
So I started my John Deere Briggs & Stratton 16hp Rider Lawnmower and moved it out of the Garage. I turned it off, and the engine kept on humming an electronic sound. It won't stop, even after I removed the key. What's going on? I was going to disconnect the battery, but didn't want to shock myself since the engine is sounding electronic.
 
It sounds like your starter motor was spinning without engaging.

I hope it didn't do that for long, as it will burn out if it spins for too long.

As for the battery, you won't get a shock from the terminals/cables unless you put a metal object like a spanner from the positive to negative and touched it.
 
Well I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so it was running a while before it finally died off. Why would a starter motor keep running after the engine is turned off?
 
Jmurray is right you won't get a shock off the battery, and also don't touch the two terminals with a spanner or you will get a lot of sparks. If the starter keeps running your starter solenoid must be bad or a wire problem.
 
So I started my John Deere Briggs & Stratton 16hp Rider Lawnmower and moved it out of the Garage. I turned it off, and the engine kept on humming an electronic sound. It won't stop, even after I removed the key. What's going on? I was going to disconnect the battery, but didn't want to shock myself since the engine is sounding electronic.

Single or twin cylinder Briggs & Stratton??
 
Back
Top