Lawn Boy knowledge needed

cutinhigh

Threads
Today I scored 6 , yes 6 Lawn Boys ! One of them I think is a real Diamond. I tried finding info online, but no luck. I can't even find a picture of this model. I was told that is was a Prototype that they gave to larger dealerships. Not sure how true that is. The model # is 8500A & serial number is 4950. 36 volt cordless mower . Any info on this would be great. image-2054643798.jpg image-1812427162.jpg image-2624683410.jpg image-1906303881.jpg image-239702323.jpg

Last edited:

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi again! :smile:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Lawn Boy section to see if we can get you some info.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Wow, I've been a LawnBoy fanatic for 25 years and never seen an electric LawnBoy like yours. I think I once saw an electric model that used a corded 110v motor. It will be interesting to see what responses you get to your thread. You may want to contact LawnBoy directly to get more info on this unique model. It may be worth a lot of money to a L.B. collector.

Jeff

fabricgator

Threads
What is in the battery "power pack"? Is it a series of 12 volt batteries like three motorcycle flooded lead acid batteries or something else.
Have you tried to charge it yet? Run it? Cut some grass??

How about some more pictures...

If they are flooded lead acid batteries. You will want to ensure that they have distilled water just above the lead plates but not much more. Charge them, and after they have been charged and the liquid expands, then they get topped up with distilled water to the full mark.

If lead acids batteries, they are probably long gone by now. I read they used 6) 6 volt MC batteries. I think I would try to fit 3) 12 volt Odyssey dry cell batteries and get the appropriate charger. With Odyssey power characteristics the cordless lawnboy just might have been a hit!

Here, I found a few pages from the service manual.

View attachment lball58 cordless.pdf

Looks like this says three 12 volt batteries in series. Maybe the Odyssey PC680's then:
Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 520
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 170
20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 16
Reserve Capacity Minutes 24
Dimensions L x W x H (in) 7.15 x 3.00 x 6.65
Metric Dimensions L x W x H (mm) 181.5 x 76.3 x 167.8
Weight (lbs) 15.4
Weight (kg) 7

You may find them quite expensive, but there is no better and they will outlive 3-5 lead acids with over 400 discharge cycles to as low as 20%

I hate batteries. I probably own/maintain over 28 FLA batteries installed in rolling/floating/flying stock. The thing with any lead acid battery is keeping them charged, but not overcharging them. Maintain the water level, and you have to run them down occasionally and then charge them back up.
Many of my vehicles batteries have been replaced with Odyssey. I am a believer, more so than Optima which is similar technology.
I just wish Enersys/Odyssey would make a 6 volt golf cart battery!

Last edited:

cutinhigh

Threads
I will take a few more pictures later today. It takes 3- 12 volt motorcycle batteries. (12N9-4B)
I installed batteries and it came to life. It cuts well and it is very quiet. The only issue is the three position switch ( off,on and start ) works great at turning it on , not so good turning it off. I cleaned the switch with electrical cleaner and re-lubricated it. It's working better. I did figure out its a 1974 model and were made for 3 years . The one I have is the first year. Second year (1975) model 5801 was all green and the third year model 5802 (1976) the deck was green, batt. Box and motor cover was white. I also have the original charger that came with the mower and its in working order.

image-80091499.jpg

image-1869724020.jpg

image-1381346393.jpg

image-453159914.jpg

fabricgator

Threads
That is a great score. Really cool.

I think if you are still having trouble getting the solenoid to drop out (shut off) I think I might disconnect a lead from the motor and just exercise the solenoid several times.
Or try to tap it when it wont shut off. I'd imagine that it probably hasn't been cycled that much (if at all) in the last few years and it may just be hanging up or even a little light surface oxidation on the solenoid contacts.

That is the first time I saw a 6 post solenoid like that used in that configuration. And getting one in 36 volts may be more rare than hen's teeth. But what do I know.

Overall it looks like it has been well stored in a great environment, so you really had the proverbial "Barn Find". Too bad it wasn't a 1954 Merc 300 SL gull wing or the lost Tucker but a great find just the same...

Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us!

unclelee

Threads
I found a little info.

The first pic is a production Lawnboy 36v cordless
The second pic is a Brooks Stevens prototype.
Third pic is where I found the pic of the prototype, and some other telling info.
Lee

cutinhigh

Threads
Unclelee , would my mower be a production mower or is it a prototype like I was originally told from the guy I got it from. By the way I haven't told you guys what I paid..............the owner was asking $25.00! I gave him $40.00.

jp1961

Threads
You may want to store it without the batteries in it, to prevent any battery acid from damaging the deck or electric motor.

Jeff