LA135 Traction Drive Pulley / Idler Arm Replacement Nightmare

sc_outlaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LA135 Traction Drive Pulley / Idler Arm Replacement Nightmare
HELP! Doing "routine maintenance" on my lawn tractor (oil/filter change, new blades, etc) and noticed that my drive belt had a cut in it, so I thought I might as well go ahead and replace it before it broke. When I went to loosen the idler pulleys to remove the belt the nuts on the pulleys were seized, and when I hit them with the impact wrench the bolts that I assume are welded to the idler arm broke loose and just spin around now. So I figured I just replace the whole idler arm (GX20787), but when I removed the bolt that holds the idler arm on, I realized that the idler arm also has a rod that attaches to the clutch . . . and now I can't figure out how to get to the pin that I assume is attaching the other end of that rod to the clutch? This "routine maintenance" has turned into a nightmare . . . is there any easy way to get to the other end of that rod so I can replace the idler arm?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now you why we charge so much to do the work and wait until you find that Rue Ring on that connecting link. Just follow the link to its mounting point on the brake cross rod.

Here is the instruction on how to remove and install the Rue Rings.
1715199721718.png

sc_outlaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now you why we charge so much to do the work and wait until you find that Rue Ring on that connecting link. Just follow the link to its mounting point on the brake cross rod.

Here is the instruction on how to remove and install the Rue Rings.
View attachment 68584
LOL! Yep. After I went back to it with a fresh set of eyes I realized that I could get to the other end of the rod through the battery box after I removed the battery - and then I saw what looked like a grossly mangled cotter pin holding it in! Not sure exactly how exactly I managed to get it off, just random frustrated series of pulling and twisting - but thanks for the illustration, that should make getting it back on a bit easier anyway.