Kohler KT745

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Well, now I have a greater mystery. One person suggested it may have something to do with the seat safety switch. I looked up online how to bypass it since it has five wires so it isn't like jumping a two wire switch. Anyway, I did what the instructions said and still nothing so I put the switch back to normal, pulled the plugs (again) and tested for spark. Surprise, I had spark. This is with the old modules. Hit the starter again, it fired right up. Drove it around a few minutes, engaging and disengaging the mower, everything is working fine except for the one cylinder misfiring again. I thought, what have I got to loose, so I reinstalled the new modules. Fired right up, drove it around, engaging and disengaging the mower. Everything is running smooth. May have something to do with one of the other safety switches or else by my jiggling the wiring on the seat safety switch I accidentally fixed it. We will see if or when it happens again.
Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.
Safety switches either work, or they don’t. They are responsible for allowing the equipment to start, and keep running. They have nothing to do with the performance of the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But the Delta 6444 safety switches and the shorting connectors they can become intermittent due to loose fitting or damaged shorting strips. And have seen regular safety switches to become intermittent too as they wear out along with worn out linkages that just barely engage them.

With switches that control the engine's coil(s) kill circuit you can even have engines that randomly misfire because of a failing switch or connection.

BTW I suspect he has a 6444-83 switch with a 96549 connector.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
But the Delta 6444 safety switches and the shorting connectors they can become intermittent due to loose fitting or damaged shorting strips. And have seen regular safety switches to become intermittent too as they wear out along with worn out linkages that just barely engage them.

With switches that control the engine's coil(s) kill circuit you can even have engines that randomly misfire because of a failing switch or connection.

BTW I suspect he has a 6444-83 switch with a 96549 connector.
I definitely realize they can and do become intermittent in working as they are failing.

RevB

Threads
Thank you, Will try that first thing in the morning. Just frustrating that it wont fire after it ran fine after installing the new modules.
Run an alternate ground then see if problem goes away. Length of wire with alligator clips works....

Threads
I've never seen a safety switch cause just one cylinder to misfire or not fire at all.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I've never seen a safety switch cause just one cylinder to misfire or not fire at all.
Or have I. Most times it is a steering diode failure in the coil that is working. To test for this you disconnect both coils kill leads. If both start working then you a got failure.