Kohler KT745

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
One ignition module was misfiring, replaced both ignition modules, ran fine then won't start. No spark from either module. any suggestions? HELP!!!

Bertrrr

Threads
Check the ground connection first , then re install the module that was firing and see what direction that takes you , it's probably not a safety switch b/c it wouldn't even turn over.

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the ground connection first , then re install the module that was firing and see what direction that takes you , it's probably not a safety switch b/c it wouldn't even turn over.
Thank you, Will try that first thing in the morning. Just frustrating that it wont fire after it ran fine after installing the new modules.

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dug out the old modules from the trash. I reinstalled both of them. Now I don't get spark from either one. Same as the new ones so, something else appears to be going on.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Must post equipment make and model number. Otherwise very little can be offered in the line of help.

It does sounds like a voltage spike has been fed into the ignition coils destroying the electronics or you installed the wrong coils. Here is a service bulletin on this subject. Otherwords you can't mix coil packs.

1698771210238.png

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
The equipment is a Craftsman Garden tractor with the Kohler Twin cylinder model KT745. The modules I replaced were purchased from OPE engines.com. The following is from their website.

Kohler ignition module, 32 854 25-S - 3258425-S, uses on some KT740, KT745 and ZT740 engines.

Replaces Old Kohler Part # 3258407-S, 32 584 07-S, 3258409-S, 32 584 09-S, 3258424-S, 32 584 24-S
The original part numbers were the 32 584 24-S. The ones I purchased and installed are the 32 854 25-S. The numbers match on both the old and new modules. Installed with an air gap of .009 inches using feeler gauges. I also downloaded the manual but cannot find anything about wiring changes when replacing the modules.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
32 854 24-S and 32 854 25-S does not exist...Probably a typos 32 584 24-S does cross to 32 584 25-S

As I said most likely you are having an impulse voltage feedback as you are shutting the engine down but I'm out of this thread so keep your equipment numbers secret..

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are right. Numbers are 32 584 25-S. I'm sure I will have to buy two more but I would sure like to keep this from happening again if anyone can help.
Thanks

173d airborne

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, now I have a greater mystery. One person suggested it may have something to do with the seat safety switch. I looked up online how to bypass it since it has five wires so it isn't like jumping a two wire switch. Anyway, I did what the instructions said and still nothing so I put the switch back to normal, pulled the plugs (again) and tested for spark. Surprise, I had spark. This is with the old modules. Hit the starter again, it fired right up. Drove it around a few minutes, engaging and disengaging the mower, everything is working fine except for the one cylinder misfiring again. I thought, what have I got to loose, so I reinstalled the new modules. Fired right up, drove it around, engaging and disengaging the mower. Everything is running smooth. May have something to do with one of the other safety switches or else by my jiggling the wiring on the seat safety switch I accidentally fixed it. We will see if or when it happens again.
Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.