Kobalt 2x 24v won't start and makes a clicking noise.

Timwhitney

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kobalt 2x 24v won't start and makes a clicking noise.
I just got this Kobalt 2x 24v self-propelled lawnmower at a pallet auction. The Model number is KLMS 1024B-03. It appears to be new and not used. I put two of my fully charged 24v batteries in to test it out. The self propel works fine. But the blade motor will not engage. I hear a clicking noise from it. The handle is fully extended and latches are fully engaged. And I am following the starting procedure, pushing the start button and then pulling the bail bar. But nothing but clicking. Anybody have ideas of how to troubleshoot this? I can find zero information or wiring diagrams on line. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I just got this Kobalt 2x 24v self-propelled lawnmower at a pallet auction. The Model number is KLMS 1024B-03. It appears to be new and not used. I put two of my fully charged 24v batteries in to test it out. The self propel works fine. But the blade motor will not engage. I hear a clicking noise from it. The handle is fully extended and latches are fully engaged. And I am following the starting procedure, pushing the start button and then pulling the bail bar. But nothing but clicking. Anybody have ideas of how to troubleshoot this? I can find zero information or wiring diagrams on line. Thanks in advance for any help.
This is a mower that Lowe’s sells, so parts, parts and service information, and shops to get it repaired will be difficult to get. Additionally, being battery powered makes repair from shops even harder to find. One of the downsides to buying big box battery outdoor equipment. Since it is already not working, I would start taking it apart yourself if you have the time and inclination.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Isn't the battery revolution great...They sell it to you and then provide no info on it for repairs.

I did manage a place to email Kobalt about parts but I have yet to receive a resonance.And probably won't.

The site Lowe's sent me to Ordertree for after warranty parts answered the phone but I on hold awaiting the next rep to answer for over 30 minutes then I had to hang up to go to the doctor's office for a 1300 appointment.

Esmeraldosvso

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where is moderator??
It is important.
Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where is moderator??
It is important.
Thanks.
The word "report" in green is the link to all of the moderators and the forum owners
While it is there essentially to report spam or posts that contravene forum rules , it is the short cut to all of the mods as any particular one could be off line, away on holidays etc .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Isn't the battery revolution great...They sell it to you and then provide no info on it for repairs.

I did manage a place to email Kobalt about parts but I have yet to receive a resonance.And probably won't.

The site Lowe's sent me to Ordertree for after warranty parts answered the phone but I on hold awaiting the next rep to answer for over 30 minutes then I had to hang up to go to the doctor's office for a 1300 appointment.

Short term vs long term when buying battery equipment:

I think although people are trying to think long term when buying battery products, ie: “going green”, saving the planet, less carbon footprint, less dependence on fossil fuels, they end up buying products based on short term real life implications.
1) Battery lasts say 3-4 years vs say 20 for gas
2) When the battery equipment needs service/repair, will a shop be willing and able to do so?
3) Specifically buying certain brands such as Kobalt, Ryobi, Amazon China products, will even be harder to find shops to repair equipment
4) Battery and equipment literally end up in the landfill, customer buys another cheap battery product, rinse and repeat.

As a shop, you have the choice to work on any, all, or nothing of the equipment that people would like repaired. Along with being more selective on gas equipment overall this year, I do not and will not work on any battery equipment that people would like repaired. Granted, I rarely get calls regarding battery equipment, but I would reckon it will increase as the years go by. So my point is this. If most small shops won’t work on battery equipment, and the big shops will only work on their brand (Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Mariyama, Redmax), who is going to repair the millions of pieces of battery equipment that will be purchased as time goes on? Or will a lot of it, end up in the landfill?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First it not as much as not willing to work on the equipment as it is the lack info and parts. Personally I initially trained as electronics repairman but have train myself as necessary in other fields. As long as I can get info and parts I usually repair about anything that is out there.

It sorta like the electric air compressor I just repaired for a customer. I had to do mods to get the replacement parts that were available to repair it . Mainly the check valve had to be replaced but none out that was 1/2" npt with a 10mm flare connection. Ended up silver soldering a 7/16" id conversion line to get it to the 1/2" compression fitting. Yet the OEM does not sell any parts to repair the compressor.

As this new phase of our business is getting started it appears the OEM manufactures do not want us repairing the equipment. Especially the low end equipment. So basically it is more use it until it breaks down and then just toss and replace.

At one time it was repair, reuse, and recycle moto with replacing as a last resort. But now it use, toss in the landfill when broken, and replace. Otherwords we gone from the "RRR" to UTR.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
First it not as much as not willing to work on the equipment as it is the lack info and parts. Personally I initially trained as electronics repairman but have train myself as necessary in other fields. As long as I can get info and parts I usually repair about anything that is out there.

It sorta like the electric air compressor I just repaired for a customer. I had to do mods to get the replacement parts that were available to repair it . Mainly the check valve had to be replaced but none out that was 1/2" npt with a 10mm flare connection. Ended up silver soldering a 7/16" id conversion line to get it to the 1/2" compression fitting. Yet the OEM does not sell any parts to repair the compressor.

As this new phase of our business is getting started it appears the OEM manufactures do not want us repairing the equipment. Especially the low end equipment. So basically it is more use it until it breaks down and then just toss and replace.

At one time it was repair, reuse, and recycle moto with replacing as a last resort. But now it use, toss in the landfill when broken, and replace. Otherwords we gone from the "RRR" to UTR.

StarTech-
I believe you are you are one of the shops that will voluntarily work on battery equipment. Let me put it more bluntly for me personally. I will not work on battery equipment, you could say as a form of protest, because I do not agree, like, or prefer battery vs gas.

Parts availability is one thing, and a very good point. However, another big choke point for battery equipment repair, is finding a shop to fix it. Good name brand stuff they sell, sure. Cheap Ryobi, Craftsman, Troy Bilt, Kobalt, etc. a big fat no, or slim pickings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well it better to get in on the ground while we still time to learn this equipment. Personally it not hard but I have been in electronics for 45 yrs so I understand electrical fairly well.

As I said the OEMs are not willing to put out the information we need to troubleshoot this equipment nor have IPLs so we can order parts. I got lucky on the Craftsman (Ryobi) drill as Craftsman did put out an IPL with PNs. Actually Gardner has the parts listed; although, for some reason they were not able to get the charger but I got it through Amazon using the provided PN. The thermal fuse was gotten through Mouser but I needing some for hair dryers already.

This has to change on the OEMs part or we be having a lot mad consumers as they shove this stuff down our throats.

Last edited: