Keeps running but won't start when pulling the cord.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Keeps running but won't start when pulling the cord.
This engine has an internal governor system, not an air vane governor. On an AutoChoke system it does have an air vane, but this one is used to partially open the choke when the engine is starts. The the AutoChoke thermocoupler, mounted behind the muffler, will fully open the choke as the engine warms up.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
This engine has an internal governor system, not an air vane governor. On an AutoChoke system it does have an air vane, but this one is used to partially open the choke when the engine is starts. The the AutoChoke thermocoupler, mounted behind the muffler, will fully open the choke as the engine warms up.
Thank you, I've always wondered why these have an air vane and an internal governor and the thermocoupler. I figured the air vane and internal governor just worked together for some reason.

BlufftonJim

Threads
Everything has been described clearly. Today I have removed the carb and currently cleaning it. I'm going to need to get a gasket kit as soon as I determine the nmber. I will update all.

BlufftonJim

Threads
No kits in this town! I will have to order and wait. :-(

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Awesome. Sorry you gotta wait. Was the seat swollen (float not level)?

BlufftonJim

Threads
UPDATE:
I’m a total newbie at small engines, and I’ve had a lot fun with this. I received the carb rebuild kit and cleaned/rebuilt the carburetor. I put all together, and as I was doing that, discovered there isn’t any air vane spring. That was most likely the issue all along. My inexperience kept me from knowing that. The spring wasn’t there when I took the carb off. I have no idea how it ever came off, when, or where.

This town/region stinks at service/supply, and the virus has nothing to do with never finding a spring. I ordered the spring and it is due to be here tomorrow.

However, I have another issue. The bowl will not stop leaking. I replaced the gasket to the jet, and have worked with the jet bolt, and no luck. The leak is clearly from the jet bolt, as I dry if off, and gas starts accumulating on the bolt, then drips.
Any advice?????

Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
Leaking where - the bowl bolt? Make sure fiber gasket is good and tighten a skosh more.
If at the top of bowl - there should be a 2" bowl gasket.

BlufftonJim

Threads
Leaking where - the bowl bolt? Make sure fiber gasket is good and tighten a skosh more.
If at the top of bowl - there should be a 2" bowl gasket.

Yes, leaking from the bowl bolt. Gasket is new from rebuild kit. I will tighten more. I was afraid of over tightening.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sometimes it looks like the bolt gasket is leaking, but it is really the bowl gasket. Put a light coat of grease on the gasket before installing to make sure it slides on smoothly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or it has a aluminum bowl there a hole corroded into it.