kawasaki fd731v-cs03

biggsee

Forum Newbie
Threads
This motor is in a gravely 260z. 3oo hrs, 2 yrs old, been having a lot of issues with losing a cylinder while operating, do to, what I believe, is a carburetor issue.
Here is my story
1st event
owner has lack of power...guy takes carb off hits with some cleaner, back on his way...........few days latter it's back in, I check it out, its dropping a cylinder and back firing on occasion,, idles great.
Checked ignition, all seems good. So I pull carb again' knowing that helped before and see it has a separate venture for each cylinder. I haven't seen this before but that's fine. Clean carb overnight, reassemble, runs great for 4-5 days. Again dropping a cylinder on occasion. Add another fuel filter, new line to carb, gaskets, and runs great for a period of time and then seems to repeat itself. I've had it apart 4 times now, haven't seen it back yet but I fear it's coming.
Does anyone know if there's a cure for such a beast!
Thanks
Biggsee

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Liquid cooled engine, possibly overheating on one cylinder. This engine is known for overheating and blowing head gaskets. Borderline cooling capability, abnormally high failure rate. Several servicing dealers that I know will not sell nor service them.
Mad Mackie in CT

chance123

Threads
If one cylinder is running OK, then the other should too. The carb affects "both" cylinders equally. I personally don't think it is overheating. Have you checked the valve clearances?
A good way to check the health of a cylinder is to look at its spark plug. What does a used spark plug from this bad running cylinder look like? Is it wet? Is it black and wet? Is it black and dry? These signs might indicate a bad oil scraper in the rings on that cylinder and oil is foaling out that spark plug. (black and wet)

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a reason why Kawasaki no longer offers a vertical shaft liquid cooled engine. Scag is phasing out the vertical liquid cooled models. Kawasaki still offers horizontal shaft liquid cooled engines. Gravely shows no vertical shaft liquid cooled engines on their current models.
Mad Mackie in CT

biggsee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys I'm new at this.......
I don't think it's an over heating issue and I have heard about the head gasket problems. There are times it runs great for hours, was shut down for a period, and then could hardly pull itself. I drove it the following morning, ran bad, drove it 100 yrds, changed from one fuel tank to another and within minutes started running ok......not great, just ok. That was the last time I pulled the carb and cleaned it, blew it out and sent it out again. Haven't heard anything yet........but tomorrow's Friday.

On the carburetor............ there's a single unit that contains two carburetors that share a bowl, a needle valve, a float, and the fuel shut off. Two separate idle jets and screws and two separate main jets.
The intake manifold is cast so that it is actually two manifolds, each side servicing that sides cylinder..............new to me. That's why dropping a cylinder had me a little baffled till I stuck my finger in there!

Just checked latest post and I'm starting to see why they might be phasing them out too!
I've asked local dealers about service bulletins, but no one knows.

Need to find a mower like that with a diesel

Thanks guys
Biggsee