Kawasaki FB460V wont start

jakesmurray

Threads
i would NOT bypass it get all the parts to get it to how it was in the factory that way it will work the best.
good luck :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's what I'll probably do.

jakesmurray

Threads
Take off fuel line from pump to carb and crank it over see if it pumps fuel. If it does then its fine. Have someone listen at the carb while you turn on the key you should hear a click at the fuel solenoid if it has one on the bottom of carb. If it does not click then its not opening the main jet to get fuel.

Rob

Ok, I'll do that. It doesn't have a fuel solenoid.

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, the fuel pump IS working. It pumps fuel fine when the engine cranks. The spark plug appears dry after I crank it a few times. What does this indicate? Also, there is a short fuel line that goes into the engine block from the fuel pump. Could this be blocked? I have not looked at that line it yet. I appreciate everyone's help!

taxidermist

Threads
Ok, the fuel pump IS working. It pumps fuel fine when the engine cranks. The spark plug appears dry after I crank it a few times. What does this indicate? Also, there is a short fuel line that goes into the engine block from the fuel pump. Could this be blocked? I have not looked at that line it yet. I appreciate everyone's help!

That is where your fuel pump gets vacuume from. If you get fuel from the pump then the vacuume line is working. Is there a drain on the bottom of the float bowl of the carb? if so open it and see if fuel comes out. If no fuel the needle seat is stuck and not letting the bowl fill with fuel.

Rob

jakesmurray

Threads
That is where your fuel pump gets vacuume from. If you get fuel from the pump then the vacuume line is working. Is there a drain on the bottom of the float bowl of the carb? if so open it and see if fuel comes out. If no fuel the needle seat is stuck and not letting the bowl fill with fuel.

Rob

There is fuel in the bowl- fuel drained when I loosened the screw. However, when the engine is cranking, only a trickle comes out of the fuel pump. Is this normal, or should it be a stronger stream?

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok I just noticed something else that may be a problem. When everything is hooked up correctly, fuel is getting to the carb, but when I loosen the carb bowl nut to drain it, the fuel is tinted a brown color. Does this mean that there is something dirty in the carb or fuel tank? I have already cleaned the carb completely, so it could be the fuel tank.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Hi
If you have fuel in the carb but the plug is not getting wet then the fuel is not getting out of the carb and into the engine.
Start again from the beginning.
1. Remove the fuel line from the carb
2. Drain the fuel tank and dry it as best you can.
3. Flush the tank out with a little petrol
4. Check the can you keep the fuel in is it clean and rust free with no signs of water in it if you use a metal you can get a condensation build up it if it is a plastic can still check it. you don稚 want to clean everything and then fill the mower from a dirty can
5. Clean the carb again make sure the main jet is spotless if you have an airline be careful how you use it if not soak the carb in carb cleaner for a few hours again give the main jet a good squirt.
6. Reassemble. Put new clean fresh fuel in start it up and go and cut the grass.

Carbs can be tricky little devils if they are not completely clean they will play up. Work your way through the fuel system from fuel tank to spark plug and check everything is clean.

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, I'll do that. Thanks

Hi
If you have fuel in the carb but the plug is not getting wet then the fuel is not getting out of the carb and into the engine.
Start again from the beginning.
1. Remove the fuel line from the carb
2. Drain the fuel tank and dry it as best you can.
3. Flush the tank out with a little petrol
4. Check the can you keep the fuel in is it clean and rust free with no signs of water in it if you use a metal you can get a condensation build up it if it is a plastic can still check it. you don稚 want to clean everything and then fill the mower from a dirty can
5. Clean the carb again make sure the main jet is spotless if you have an airline be careful how you use it if not soak the carb in carb cleaner for a few hours again give the main jet a good squirt.
6. Reassemble. Put new clean fresh fuel in start it up and go and cut the grass.

Carbs can be tricky little devils if they are not completely clean they will play up. Work your way through the fuel system from fuel tank to spark plug and check everything is clean.

taxidermist

Threads
Sounds like you have old gas in the tank for 1

As for the trickle of gas coming out.... it should be a good stream while cranking.

If the valves are out of adjustment then the vacuum from the head might be low and not allowing the fuel pump to work right.

Are you sure the plug is bone dry?

Clean the carb and make sure all the passages are very clean and that you can blow air thru fuel port. Also make sure with this carb that your needle below the float seals well. while the carb is inverted blow thru the fuel line and make sure you are not getting any air past the needle seat.

Rob