Kawasaki FB460V wont start

jakesmurray

Threads
Sounds like you have old gas in the tank for 1

As for the trickle of gas coming out.... it should be a good stream while cranking.

If the valves are out of adjustment then the vacuum from the head might be low and not allowing the fuel pump to work right.

Are you sure the plug is bone dry?

Clean the carb and make sure all the passages are very clean and that you can blow air thru fuel port. Also make sure with this carb that your needle below the float seals well. while the carb is inverted blow thru the fuel line and make sure you are not getting any air past the needle seat.

Rob
I just checked the plug again, and it is a little wet, so there is fuel getting into the engine. Now, I will completely clean the fuel system and make sure there is no old fuel in the system.

taxidermist

Threads
If its getting wet I bet its old fuel that is not firing. I also bet its the valves need lashing too.

Rob

jakesmurray

Threads
This engine finally runs!!! It turns out that the main jet was clogged. When I cleaned the carb the first time, I didn't unclog the main jet. I put the hose up into the hole, and some black crud came out of the jet. Now, the engines fires right up and runs very strong! It even idles very well, with no adjustments. Thanks to everyone for their help!

benski

Threads
Super! Unlike my dearly departed 454 Chev big block, these small engines can get REALLY picky about their foraging habits. It's enough to drive ya' crazy!:confused2::eek::biggrin:

fido

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checking lash is a bit to type out.

I have a pdf service manual for this engine and I'll e-mail it to you if you like. (the file is too big to add as an attachment on this post I guess :frown:

Hope it helps. (end of section 6)

You might need some specialty tools (pending your experience level) but its not too tough a job.

Good luck:thumbsup:

All I need is your e-mail address.
jameslangdon3@yahoo.com is my email . would greatly appreciate the service manual

Turkdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all! I have an idiot question for you guys... I have the same Kawa engine on my mower. I disassembled my carb, and I'm not sure which way the float goes back in... It seems to go in either side up! Any suggestions?