Just need information oh 4 stroke gas engine

popsljc

Threads
I know this is a Kohler thread but I just information. I have a 13 hp Honda that has no fire to the plug. I replaced the ignition coil and still no fire . Does the one wire from the ignition coil have to be energized for the coil to generate a spark. What makes the coil fire the spark to the plug. Thanks for any suggestions

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know this is a Kohler thread but I just information. I have a 13 hp Honda that has no fire to the plug. I replaced the ignition coil and still no fire . Does the one wire from the ignition coil have to be energized for the coil to generate a spark. What makes the coil fire the spark to the plug. Thanks for any suggestions

I can get some troubleshooting help for you, but let's start with the exact engine you have...first, is this a vertical or horizontal crankshaft engine?

On the side of the cylinder/block, look for the full serial number. It will be 4 or 5 letters followed by 7 numbers, "GXXXX-1234567"

28213460426_b9943e20f2_o.png

27632348813_08493e7ece_o.png

The spark plug gets fire from the coil each time the magnet inside the flywheel passes by the coil. It's critical the air gap between the magnet and coil be set correctly....if the gap is too wide, no fire. Most Honda engines have an air gap of 0.016 inch (0.4 mm).
28170035731_c307f678e4_o.png

The mounting holes in the coil are slotted to allow for the air gap to be adjusted. Loosen bolts, insert flexible gap gauge set correctly, press and hold coil down, tighten bolts, remove gauge.