Just bought a used HRX2174HYA

tjk6277

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, New to the forum. Just bought a pretty clean HRX2174HYA mower on Craigslist. Original owner purchased 4/13, sold it because he moved to a home with more grass to mow and recently bought a rider.

Mowed the lawn today for the first time & noticed a couple minor things today. Moving the throttle lever between the fast and slow settings doesn't seem to change the RPM's very much. Much more noticeable engine RPM speed change on my old Honda HR215. Also, the throttle lever will move way past the fast speed. Not sure if somethings out of adjustment, didn't try moving the lever past fast when it was running. Just noticed it when it was off.

Other than that it runs good. I want to sharpen the blades and change the oil & wondered if 5W30 is an okay swap for the recommended 10W30? I have a lot on hand.

PS I just saw the post regarding the 1/13 Service Bulletin regarding a possible binding, sticking Autochoke. Is there any way to know if this mower has been checked by Honda and fixed? The serial number falls between the affected range.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, New to the forum. Just bought a pretty clean HRX2174HYA mower on Craigslist. Original owner purchased 4/13, sold it because he moved to a home with more grass to mow and recently bought a rider.

Mowed the lawn today for the first time & noticed a couple minor things today. Moving the throttle lever between the fast and slow settings doesn't seem to change the RPM's very much. Much more noticeable engine RPM speed change on my old Honda HR215. Also, the throttle lever will move way past the fast speed. Not sure if somethings out of adjustment, didn't try moving the lever past fast when it was running. Just noticed it when it was off.

Other than that it runs good. I want to sharpen the blades and change the oil & wondered if 5W30 is an okay swap for the recommended 10W30? I have a lot on hand.

PS I just saw the post regarding the 1/13 Service Bulletin regarding a possible binding, sticking Autochoke. Is there any way to know if this mower has been checked by Honda and fixed? The serial number falls between the affected range.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

The throttle lever and detents are the same parts used in earlier models with a manual choke, thus you can move the throttle past FAST into a "phantom" CHOKE position. At some point, Honda will likely change the lever design and detent, but for your mower, just be sure the throttle stays on FAST.

I'd stick with 10W-30 for most mowing environments. It will work best for the majority of temps and conditions you'll likely encounter.

Honda does not require dealers to report or share the serial numbers of units repaired for a service bulletin, unless the dealer files a warranty claim. If you'll share the full frame serial number with me, I can see if your mower was reported as being updated, but keep in mind not *all* mowers in the range will have the problems, and not *all* mowers in the range that may have been repaired by a dealer will indicate this fact in the Honda system. Bottom line? Unless you mower is having a problem, I would not be concerned if it has or has not been previously repaired.

tjk6277

Forum Newbie
Threads
MAGA-2209070 is the serial number from the plate on the deck. I'm wondering about the throttle or idle adjustment, too.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
MAGA-2209070 is the serial number from the plate on the deck. I'm wondering about the throttle or idle adjustment, too.

That serial number is in the range of mowers that might have an Autochoke issue. I would not worry about it unless you are having starting problems. FYI, the actual problem is the linkage on the Autochoke might bind, and the fix is just to replace the assembly.

The idle and full-speed are adjustable, but you need a tachometer to test and make any adjustments. A dealer can do this for you;I don't recommend fiddling with the throttle settings without a tach. Find your local dealer here:

Find A Honda Dealer

Now the really good news is the mower does have active warranty, which can be transferred to your name. My records shows this mower was sold new back on 4/25/2013, and was eligible for the +1 year or warranty promotion, so the factory warranty is valid until 4/25/2019 :thumbsup:

All you need to do is drop me a private message with your full name and mailing address, and I'll get the database updated. Honda asks for this information in the unlikely even there's ever a product safety recall on the mower and they need to contact you. It will also simplify the process if you do require warranty work in the future.