John Deere l130 will not drive forward or backward

william j smith jr

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere l130 will not drive forward or backward
I have replaced the drive belt, I have replaced the pto switch , (and the blades engage when the engine is running),,, I have checked the back pull leaver to make sure the mover drive is engaged and is not in the push by hand position. The mower will start,,, the blades will engage,,, but the mower will not move forward or backward. Anyone ever have this problem?

I am presently going to get a 20 amp fuse because I just blew the one that was in it. What could be causing this mower not to move forward or backward.
The back drive is sealed and there is no place to add hydrolic oil ,,, and there is no way to check the levels,,, When inspecting the back,,, there is no excess oil on the outside leading me to think that the rear end is leaking any hydrolic oil.

Any suggestions?

william j smith jr

Forum Newbie
Threads
The John Deere L130 has a sealed transmission. There is no way to drain or add fluids except for taking the unit out and opening. Any more suggestions? Could it be a bad brake wire keeping the transmission from engaging?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the pulley on the transaxle is turning when you try to go forward.
Have a helper look.

Look at the axles make sure one of them is not turning inside the wheel.

When you pull the release lever so you can push it can you push it?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have the Tuff Torq HD K46 trans and I just posted a picture and how to drain and refill. Remove 4 bolts and jack body up to refill.

william j smith jr

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I call John Deere they told me that the transmission was sealed,,, it did not have a way to add or drain without opening up the transmission. They may be incorrect,, I'll check,,,, saw your attachment,,,, thanks.

When I pull the gear release in the back,,, the lawmower pushes fairly easy,,,, when it engaged it difficult to push.

Will check if the pully is turning and will also check the shaft.

I will take off the back tires and look for the filler area,,, but according to John Deere out to Ennis, it's a sealed unit,,, maybe they got it wrong hoping I'd bring it in instead of checking the fluid levels,,, Thanks for the info.

Bill

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Guess who does not make that trans. I gave you info from the manufacture not John Deere.

Jhon

Threads
"I have replaced the drive belt, I have replaced the pto switch "

Did you do this before or after the problem started?

redleg62

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I call John Deere they told me that the transmission was sealed,,, it did not have a way to add or drain without opening up the transmission. They may be incorrect,, I'll check,,,, saw your attachment,,,, thanks. When I pull the gear release in the back,,, the lawmower pushes fairly easy,,,, when it engaged it difficult to push. Will check if the pully is turning and will also check the shaft. I will take off the back tires and look for the filler area,,, but according to John Deere out to Ennis, it's a sealed unit,,, maybe they got it wrong hoping I'd bring it in instead of checking the fluid levels,,, Thanks for the info. Bill

That is exactly what john deere tells everyone they sold equipment to with this rear end in it. The rear end is refillable, and rebuild able. I've done many. John deere put the wrong fluid in these when they were assembled. The rear ends were shipped to JD by tuff torq, dry, with instructions to fill them with 15w50 synthetic oil. They filled them with 10w30 instead. That runs them hot and then burn up the pump, and motor, inside the unit .

william j smith jr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed the transmission was not driving forward through tall grass,,, so I replace the drive belt. I did tip the lawnmower straight up which may have allowed the fluid to competely drain, but I didn't see any oil or fluid leakage,,, so after replacing the drive belt,,, I broke the pto switch trying to plug it back in,,, so I replaced the pto switch and the blades kick in correctly.

I have had the mower for years, but I didn't run it much some years,,,,, The last guy said that it wasn't a sealed rear end, so I'm going to check the fluid levels tomorrow. I will also replace the gear oil and trans fluid before I purchase a new one. Hopefully that works, if not, I'll purchase a new one or have the one rebuilt. I have found new k46's from 300 to 500 dollars,,, not sure what a rebuilt will cost :)

Thanks for the infor,,, I've learned a lot from this blog. By the way,,, anyone know what the average cost on a rebuilt k46 rear axel for a John Deere L130 costs? I would truly appreciate any input :)

Bill