John deere 420 garden tractor

That is true but, since I dont have a tester I was just checking to see if there was any spark at all and both plugs have a spark and even if one of them was weak it should still fire on the other cylinder or at least pop but, it does nothing.

I have seen something on this forum, never assume anything when it comes to electrical. Two bad spark plugs?? I don't care what engine you have, you need fuel, spark, compression, timing and it will run. Seeing it was running good up till now I would be checking more into the fuel part of it. Spark plugs are cheap so just put two of them in and also a new fuel filter. Start small.
 
I have seen something on this forum, never assume anything when it comes to electrical. Two bad spark plugs?? I don't care what engine you have, you need fuel, spark, compression, timing and it will run. Seeing it was running good up till now I would be checking more into the fuel part of it. Spark plugs are cheap so just put two of them in and also a new fuel filter. Start small.

That was the first thing I thought too was fuel but, why wont it start or pop when I spray starting fluid in the throttle body? Frustrating especially considering it was running fine when I put it away after blowing snow.
 
That was the first thing I thought too was fuel but, why wont it start or pop when I spray starting fluid in the throttle body? Frustrating especially considering it was running fine when I put it away after blowing snow.

Seeing it ran good up till now I would still try to keep things simple. Just remember the four things it needs to run. Are you getting a good fuel flow to the carburetor and you did try two new spark plugs?? Could it be some reason the fuel isn't going all the way to the piston? Now don't forget you need air to push the fuel to the piston. . I would say if you are getting fuel to the piston and a good spark you will have to move on to the next thing. Compression and then timing. I can't stress enough try the simple things first. Filters? I don't care what engine you have it takes the same thing on all of them to run so that is the reason I am not asking what engine you have.
 
Seeing it ran good up till now I would still try to keep things simple. Just remember the four things it needs to run. Are you getting a good fuel flow to the carburetor and you did try two new spark plugs?? Could it be some reason the fuel isn't going all the way to the piston? Now don't forget you need air to push the fuel to the piston. . I would say if you are getting fuel to the piston and a good spark you will have to move on to the next thing. Compression and then timing. I can't stress enough try the simple things first. Filters? I don't care what engine you have it takes the same thing on all of them to run so that is the reason I am not asking what engine you have.

I wouldnt consider compression and timing to be simple things but, Im starting to think thats what the problem is. Question is how does it all of a sudden lose compression or get out of time? I do notice that the engine seems to spin over faster than it use to which makes me think compression which makes no sense.
 
I wouldnt consider compression and timing to be simple things but, Im starting to think thats what the problem is. Question is how does it all of a sudden lose compression or get out of time? I do notice that the engine seems to spin over faster than it use to which makes me think compression which makes no sense.

I don't consider compression and timing simple so that is on the end of the list. I am only trying to give you some generic suggestions seeing I don't know your equipment's condition, I don't know what you have done so far, and we are many miles apart. No compressing? maybe a rodent built nest on your cylinder and burned the piston? I have no idea? What have you done so far??? plugged carburetor? broken manifold gasket ? When you trouble shoot try to think what is happening and don't repeat your work. How does the engine turn over when you spin it by hand will give you a rough idea about compression. I believe it was rivets who said don't assume nothing.
 
I don't consider compression and timing simple so that is on the end of the list. I am only trying to give you some generic suggestions seeing I don't know your equipment's condition, I don't know what you have done so far, and we are many miles apart. No compressing? maybe a rodent built nest on your cylinder and burned the piston? I have no idea? What have you done so far??? plugged carburetor? broken manifold gasket ? When you trouble shoot try to think what is happening and don't repeat your work. How does the engine turn over when you spin it by hand will give you a rough idea about compression. I believe it was rivets who said don't assume nothing.




Figured out what is wrong. The cam shaft on the kawasaki engines has a plastic gear on it which broke which explains why it spun over so easy and fast. I appreciated all the suggestions and input just thought I would post what is wrong with it.
 
Back
Top