JD X580 using a lot of gas when mowing.

johnorlandi

Threads
Right now, the dealer is picking it up Tuesday it is under warranty I have to Pay $120 for pickup and delivery. I don't care just so it is fixed by the dealer (my trailer to small). I have pulled the plug and it is firing good and I put a spark plug tester and there is plenty of spark. Let the dealer worry about it. I am 84 years old, and this is the first BRAND NEW tractor/mower I have ever owned so with the extended warranty I have 7 years and 600 hours. I let you all know what he finds. I used to do all my own work on the equipment and cars but have slowed down a bit and loving every minute of it. You wait you'll see.

Cajun power

Threads
Right now, the dealer is picking it up Tuesday it is under warranty I have to Pay $120 for pickup and delivery. I don't care just so it is fixed by the dealer (my trailer to small). I have pulled the plug and it is firing good and I put a spark plug tester and there is plenty of spark. Let the dealer worry about it. I am 84 years old, and this is the first BRAND NEW tractor/mower I have ever owned so with the extended warranty I have 7 years and 600 hours. I let you all know what he finds. I used to do all my own work on the equipment and cars but have slowed down a bit and loving every minute of it. You wait you'll see.
sounds like a good plan. I'm sure they will work the bugs out.

Threads
Swapping the plugs is just going to carbon up the good plug. However looking at the clean plug, youdefinately have an issue with the right bank. Take it back to the dealer, now! When you get it back, mow and check your plugs after each mowing to make sure they didn't justput 2 new plugs in your machine.
My guess, is that you have a valve issue. Probably just a simple adjustment, however , I'm not crazy about the way these small engines lock nuts for adjusting the valves are designed. When i adjust valves i clean the adjusting bolt and nut really good and put a little blue locktite on them. Don't put red locktite on them.

Good luck, hopefully your dealer will take care of your problem, but do it now before any damage is done to your engine, Pete

Cajun power

Threads
sounds like a good plan. I'm sure they will work the bugs out.
Swapping the plugs is just going to carbon up the good plug. However looking at the clean plug, youdefinately have an issue with the right bank. Take it back to the dealer, now! When you get it back, mow and check your plugs after each mowing to make sure they didn't justput 2 new plugs in your machine.
My guess, is that you have a valve issue. Probably just a simple adjustment, however , I'm not crazy about the way these small engines lock nuts for adjusting the valves are designed. When i adjust valves i clean the adjusting bolt and nut really good and put a little blue locktite on them. Don't put red locktite on them.

Good luck, hopefully your dealer will take care of your problem, but do it now before any damage is done to your engine, Pete
AND use a torque wrench to set the CORRECT TORQUE. I've never had a problem with valve locking nuts backing off..kawasaki..kohler...b&S, and even old vintage generac. never had that problem...what I have had happened, which it common and expected is valve and seat wear and roller bearing wear on the cam, which puts the valve our of clearance over time. On the rare occasions, sometimes a valve seat steps out or a valve guide gets worn. the correct way to set the locking nut is with the SERVICE MANUAL SPEC torque wrench value. I am sure blue thread locker would work, but I don't think it's going to do anything more than the proper torque with the right tool. just my opinion. and I kind of agree, the "cam" mechanism for kawasaki that is used for valve lash is a bit wonky...but it just does work...just takes a bit of practice...and rechecking...probably the one way to mess things up, is to crank it down and throw your whole body into it without a torque wrench. that's ruin it and create problems faster than you can say "I should have checked the oil level". :)

bluesky

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere X500 hydro has 800+ hours on it and also seems to burn a lot of gas. It is rate at 23 horsepower (I think) and has done a lot of hard mowing. I believe that when I trade, I'll be looking for a diesel, probably Kubota. I also have a 30 hp Kubota (L3010), purchased in 2001 that has never given a bit of trouble and still runs like new.