JD X580 using a lot of gas when mowing.

johnorlandi

Threads
JD X580 using a lot of gas when mowing

I have 2022 JD X580 with 18 hours on it. I am using a lot of gas when mowing at full throttle. The dealer said to put the rpm just in the green on the tack and if the mower runs good then cut there.

I did this and the mower ran good did not use as much gas but did not cut the grass good.

When run at full throttle the engine and mower sound good and it cuts the grass really good so I guess I will have to cut at full throttle and put the extra gas in?

I have one flat acer with fairly good lawn a lot of flower beds to go around and usually can cut the grass twice before refueling this take just over an hour, (4.4 gal)

At the time I purchased this JD I did not know about the X590 being fuel injected if that would have helped.

I Like my John Deere! It being new has 7-year 600 hours warrantee so not worried about anything.

Checking with reflective tape and a tachometer

RPM checked taken from the screen covering the flywheel and from a pulley on the mower deck.

Engine idle with no mower on, 1908 rpm.
Just in the green engine rpm 2838 mower rpm 3250
Full throttle engine rpm 3248 mower 3895

Any suggestions????????

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the plugs and take a look at their color. If they are black and have a carbon build up, the engine is running rich and needs to be adjusted. If they are not black it looks like you will have to live with it. As a side note, I have my doubts about your dealer. I’ve always instructed my customers to cut at full throttle, that’s is where the unit is designed to do its best work.

Threads
JD X580 using a lot of gas when mowing

I have 2022 JD X580 with 18 hours on it. I am using a lot of gas when mowing at full throttle. The dealer said to put the rpm just in the green on the tack and if the mower runs good then cut there.

I did this and the mower ran good did not use as much gas but did not cut the grass good.

When run at full throttle the engine and mower sound good and it cuts the grass really good so I guess I will have to cut at full throttle and put the extra gas in?

I have one flat acer with fairly good lawn a lot of flower beds to go around and usually can cut the grass twice before refueling this take just over an hour, (4.4 gal)

At the time I purchased this JD I did not know about the X590 being fuel injected if that would have helped.

I Like my John Deere! It being new has 7-year 600 hours warrantee so not worried about anything.

Checking with reflective tape and a tachometer

RPM checked taken from the screen covering the flywheel and from a pulley on the mower deck.

Engine idle with no mower on, 1908 rpm.
Just in the green engine rpm 2838 mower rpm 3250
Full throttle engine rpm 3248 mower 3895

Any suggestions????????
I had a Husqvarna YT42DXLS with auto locking tranny that I adored - except after the tranny brackets broke twice in a year. Tranny literally fell down to the ground! Fixed it twice, then sold it to a neighbor. Bought a 42" deck JD X-370 w/Kawasaki engine, hydraulic deck lift, armrests, bumper, all the bells and whistles. It set me back over 6K but does a wonderful job. To compensate for the loss of diff lock, I bought 2 45# weights for the rear. I mow 1.5 acres, but about 1/4 of that is very steep - too steep to mow across and ruling out a ZT, rocks to mow around, furrows, etc. To your point: Mine too uses a lot of gas, probably close to 1 gal./hr. The Husky used waaaaay less gas. I'm OK with that. But the best thing about the JD is the POWER STEERING. If you've never experienced it, it is a godsend for a guy with arthritic hands/fingers/wrists and a titanium shoulder. Also, the 90lbs. of weight no doubt figure into the gas use - along with my body weight of 160lbs. I love my JD X-370 (about 70 hrs. now)!
One more thing: you should never tow or mow with the throttle in any position other than wide open! There are a bunch of reasons why that I won't get in the weeds about, just trust me - or google it. Happy cutting!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the first post I've seen about these new mega mowers using a lot of gas. Thanks for bringing it up.

These are not car engines. Max revs all the time. Soon as that engine gets spinning give her the beans.

Be glad you didn't get an EFI machine. They look good on paper. When they fail $$$$.

This gas sucking issue is another reason the wife and I use push mowers. And the free exercise. My rider sits in the garage all alone.

Adding JD plates will only wear the machine out quicker. Adds a ton more stress to the drive system and heat. What is needed in this case is a 4x4 Kubota. Right tool for the job.

Threads
This is the first post I've seen about these new mega mowers using a lot of gas. Thanks for bringing it up.

These are not car engines. Max revs all the time. Soon as that engine gets spinning give her the beans.

Be glad you didn't get an EFI machine. They look good on paper. When they fail $$$$.

This gas sucking issue is another reason the wife and I use push mowers. And the free exercise. My rider sits in the garage all alone.

Adding JD plates will only wear the machine out quicker. Adds a ton more stress to the drive system and heat. What is needed in this case is a 4x4 Kubota. Right tool for the job.
I feel you, slo, but logic tells me that my weight (160lbs.) + the weights (90lbs.total) is no different than a 250 lb. person operating it with no weights . . .Good deal on the push mowers - great way to get exercise and break a good sweat (especially now)! Haven't checked on Kubota's 4x4 s, but my wife would have a cow if they're priced like I suspect they are!! I'm 72 and hoping this JD will be the last tractor I have to buy - we'll see. Be well!

Threads
Hey slomo:
I checked out Kubota. What I found is that they don't make a 4x4 "lawn tractor", only a 4x4 "garden tractor" - way, way more machine than I need, and the clincher is, aside from the cost (which I never could find - even AI couldn't), is no power steering. That nixes it in the cradle for me. Just FYI But thanks for your input . . .Cheers!

johnorlandi

Threads
Rivets are 3 pictures of my plugs; right side looks a little sooty. I mowed today just over an hour, at full throttle it runs great, but you can see the gas gauge go down, some. If I have to put in more gas than usual I will for it does a great job, I like my machine.

Attachments

• left and right (Small).jpg
    left and right (Small).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 20
  • left side (Small).jpg
    left side (Small).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 20
  • right side (Small).jpg
    right side (Small).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 21

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That right one is definitely running rich. If it is still under warranty I’d be showing the dealer your pictures and ask them what they are going to do about it. You definitely have a problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Swap plugs, run it at max revs. Pull the plugs and see if the cleaner one gets some carbon on her.

Lawn Addict
Threads
with 18 hours on it. I am using a lot of gas when mowing at full throttle.
When you get more hours on the engine, it should get better on gas.. Both my Kawasaki's did..

And as to the one plug showing richer. the crankcase vent is on the R. side of the intake manifold to engine..Least mine is.