Is your John Deere worth it?

Steve K

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I thought it was worth it, but after reading what a piece of crap my LA is, I guess not. Damn, and to think that the past 5 years I thought that it was looking and working great!. Oh, but wait, I got mine from the Deere dealer and not the box store, so I guess that's the difference.:laughing:

And the next time I buy a Cuisinart CPT-140 toaster, I will not buy it from Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, but I will head to Macy's and pay 50 bucks instead, because it will be build better. :confused2:

Yeah, I think something got confused somewhere. Same models are the same every were, but I decided the right tractor for me was a X-324 select series, which is a heavier duty model that the BB stores do not sell. Yeah, it was more expensive, but it handles all the heavier duty things I do with it, like plow snow off my U shaped drive in the middle of the Chicago winter. I had a LX-178 model that did not do things as well, but it was also not as expensive. I bought it at a Deere dealer. It would have worked the same if I bought it at Home Depot. If I only mowed grass once a week and lived where snow is only seen on Christmas cards, a BB Deere would be fine. The point that people are missing is that the Deere dealers sell the heavier duty models that may be the tool that is needed for the job. If all you need is a BB Deere, then they are still fine machines.

Black Bart

Threads
Good point, Kenny....I am sure many people who are unhappy with their green machines have had too-high expectations of them because of the name but even Deere has to build down to a price point somewhere. I mentioned in another post that my step mother has a JD 160 that is at least 20 years old, she really doesn't need a lawn tractor to mow 1/3 of an acre as a push mower would do, but due to the limited use hers gets it will last much longer than one used to mow several acres. I remember when Deere first began selling the "Saber" model, it made me sad then that they were basically pandering to the low price crowd.

I believe John Deere workers are union and they pay just as much for steel as any other manufacture so it would be unreasonable to expect them to build a mower that sells for $1995.00 and have it be much different than what any other $1995.00 mower would be.
Ever hear the saying you get what you pay for.

The real problem is people have heard of how great John Deere's like my 430 is and they think that when they buy a $1995.00 mower it will be the same.

I understand JD wanting to sell more units and get in on the low end action but when I first laid eyes on the Saber I said it was going to hurt their reputation because a lot of people would expect it to be like all other Deere's.

Turns out I was right.

Bobrien

Threads
My JD 165 is on its second engine but is still mowing like a new one. It is built like a tank. If I ever want to replace it, I'll buy one at the dealership. If I were to purchase one today, it would be a 304 or 320.:smile:

Giterdone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know a lot of you think the D100 series from Big Box are crap and not worth the metal they're made from BUT: Here's the story, I only buy what's necessary to do the job required and in this case the D100 series fit the bill for me. I've owned 4 lawn tractors in my time 3 Craftsman, 1 Noma (out of business now I believe) and now a JD D160 bought from Home Depot for a ridiculous price (I did look at my local JD dealer I could have paid at least $500 more for what on close inspection looked like about the same quality made as the Big Box. All three of my other tractors were alright and did the job quite well for the many years I owned them. But what I will say is that the day before I bought the JD I bought one Built by Troy (don't want to mention any names) had it for about 4 hours (two of which were travelling time) and ran it for exactly .03 of and hour which was enough time for me to decide to load it back in my truck and head it on back to the store. I don't think you could go directly to the factory (MTD) and hand pick one a good one. As far as I'm concerned pretty much all of the manufacturers have gone chinese quality except JD and that includes the lowly D100 series at the Big Box stores. I am very happy with mine and am looking forward to many years of John Deere trouble free use. Thanks for reading my rant.:confused2:

Bison

Threads
I dont want to pee in your cornflakes but JD dont build these lawntractors in the US.
The rice eaters build them like everything else today.:wink:

Jhon

Threads
When did this happen? or did the Chinese take over Horicon, Wisconsin?
And thank god i eat Cheerios...

loyce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a Deere 318 and LOVED it - never a problem -- I understand the new ones at box stores are not so good - I'd talk to the dealer about what you want to use it for and reliability of the models you are thinking about.

It all depends on what your purpose is and your budget - Whatever you decide - make sure it is a reliable dealer with a good service department. :biggrin:

I bought my JD LA 145 at a box store, after asking a dealer if there was any difference in his product and the one at the box store. This dealer informed me both were manufactured at the same factory and there is no difference in quality.

Black Bart

Threads
I bought my JD LA 145 at a box store, after asking a dealer if there was any difference in his product and the one at the box store. This dealer informed me both were manufactured at the same factory and there is no difference in quality.

Yes and my local dealer sells them for less than what the big box stores sell them for and the big plus is you got somewhere to go for service after the sale.

loyce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes and my local dealer sells them for less than what the big box stores sell them for and the big plus is you got somewhere to go for service after the sale.

A decal on my mower refers me to my local JD dealer for warranty service. I registered the warranty with JD, not with the box store, I really don't think who you buy the mower from matters as JD is the warranter and any parts you buy will usually be bought from a JD dealer.

Black Bart

Threads
A decal on my mower refers me to my local JD dealer for warranty service. I registered the warranty with JD, not with the box store, I really don't think who you buy the mower from matters as JD is the warranter and any parts you buy will usually be bought from a JD dealer.[/QUOTE

Ok look at it this way I take my mower in to my dealer for warranty work or service and you bring your's in that you got at the Box Store, Care to guess who will get their mower back first.
If it is a questionable warranty issue which one will the dealer be more likely to help with the warranty.

When I can buy for less at a dealer I see absolutely NO reason to buy from a box store.

YMMV