Is your John Deere worth it?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...Some times you just have to laugh, some people buy a LAWN MOWER to do the work of a compact or utility machine. Then when you try to mow 20 acres of wooded swamp land and it does not last for 20 years, complain that JD is a POS. ...

I try to catch all the posts.. but there are a few I don't see... the ones you are referring to I can't place.

Most of the complaints I have read seem to be, relatively low hour machines used to mow smallish lawns, and while a lot were the 'lower priced' rider... the complaints generally seem to show disappointment with the expectation that the JD name should have given them a bit more for their money... I don't know if that in itself is an unreasonable expectation but it may be...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I try to catch all the posts.. but there are a few I don't see... the ones you are referring to I can't place.

Most of the complaints I have read seem to be, relatively low hour machines used to mow smallish lawns, and while a lot were the 'lower priced' rider... the complaints generally seem to show disappointment with the expectation that the JD name should have given them a bit more for their money... I don't know if that in itself is an unreasonable expectation but it may be...
:smile:KennyV

Good point, Kenny....I am sure many people who are unhappy with their green machines have had too-high expectations of them because of the name but even Deere has to build down to a price point somewhere. I mentioned in another post that my step mother has a JD 160 that is at least 20 years old, she really doesn't need a lawn tractor to mow 1/3 of an acre as a push mower would do, but due to the limited use hers gets it will last much longer than one used to mow several acres. I remember when Deere first began selling the "Sabre" model, it made me sad then that they were basically pandering to the low price crowd.

Buckshot721

Threads
I was trying to say that people buy a cheaper model to save money, than expect it to do things it was not built to do.

srpierce

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to know how to change the fliud in the transmission and how much to add etc.

meguell3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Warning: While Tuff Torq do recommend changing the oil in its unit, some other tractor manufacturer provide a "sealed unit" and don稚 need to replace the oil in the transaxle.
Haha sorry about that, I'm a mechanic for small engines and I rebuild gear transmissions pretty often, I just did that to see if it would help and it did. Not really any reason for me doing it other than the fact it builds up a good bit of heat and heat breaks down oil pretty quickly, that's why your car requires oil changes every so often no matter how clean the oil looks. As far as how it's done there's a plug on the bottom of the transmission, (look under it's the cloesest to the ground) you simply take it out drain the oil oil out, flush it out with about a quart of new oil, and replace the drain plug. After that you fill it with about 2 and a 1/2 quarts of oil (if it has a resivoir like mine that comes up through the gas tank fill it to the cold fill line on it.) A. Start and run engine at SLOW idle.
B. While alternately depressing the forward and reverse pedals, engage and disengage the release wheel lever (freewheeling rod).
C. Continue this procedure until the rear wheels start to rotate. This step may take up to 10 minutes to perform.
D. Lower the machine to the ground.
E. With control pedals in neutral, push the machine forward and then rearward to turn the motor rotating group.
F. Start and run the engine at FAST idle.
G. Quickly depress and release the forward and reverse pedals until the machine moves without hesitation.

Note: Tuff Torq recommend changing the oil at 50 hours for the first time and then every 200 hours.

You should notice a less noisy transaxle and better response of the pedal.
Interesting fix, want to inform us exactly WHAT this procedure does to remedy the transmission problem?

"The dealer said the same thing to me...." which was? Open to interpretation, did the dealer tell you about the fix? Or what did the dealer say?

If it wasn't the dealer, who told you about the fix? Your post apparently means well but is somewhat garbled, and lacking details.

Kisssofdeath

Forum Newbie
Threads
I been on this forum looking around for 2-3 weeks now. Since I bought my JD today I finally decided to register. I ended up buying a 2011 ZTrak 910A 54" and totally love it. Cut around 40 minutes off my mowing time. :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was trying to say that people buy a cheaper model to save money, than expect it to do things it was not built to do.

That's correct ... I think that is what most everyone has done at some time...
If I get something that will do what I normally do... then occasionally I might expect it to do a lot more... sometimes I can get away with it , sometimes it catches me .... :smile:KennyV

Jhon

Threads
Well, I thought it was worth it, but after reading what a piece of crap my LA is, I guess not. Damn, and to think that the past 5 years I thought that it was looking and working great!. Oh, but wait, I got mine from the Deere dealer and not the box store, so I guess that's the difference.:laughing:

And the next time I buy a Cuisinart CPT-140 toaster, I will not buy it from Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, but I will head to Macy's and pay 50 bucks instead, because it will be build better. :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I thought it was worth it, but after reading what a piece of crap my LA is, I guess not. Damn, and to think that the past 5 years I thought that it was looking and working great!. Oh, but wait, I got mine from the Deere dealer and not the box store, so I guess that's the difference.:laughing:

And the next time I buy a Cuisinart CPT-140 toaster, I will not buy it from Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, but I will head to Macy's and pay 50 bucks instead, because it will be build better. :confused2:

Haha....:laughing:
Welcome to LMF Jhon....
I do appreciate your sarcasm.... & without any doubt, you are correct X2... :smile:KennyV

Jhon

Threads
Haha....:laughing:
Welcome to LMF Jhon....
I do appreciate your sarcasm.... & without any doubt, you are correct X2... :smile:KennyV

Thanks, after I left the message (My first here) I thought my message might be taken for more than it was, just me trying to poke fun at the hard core tractor owners who think everyone needs hardcore tractor, nd I would piss someone off. My POS runs about 20 hours a year and is garage kept. It will probably outlive me. I could have put 3 grand more into my mower, but I put it in the bank instead. For me it has been the right decision.
Of course, many of you out there need a hulking machine because of what you use it for, or maybe just how you use it. But a lot of us don稚. Mine is well maintained and well loved and lightly used.