Ebay/Craigslist Is this worth it

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always run things for awhile. I bought a grinder was in a new box looked like it was never taking out the box. He told me he got two for Xmas.
It did not work. Took me four months to find someone that knew this guy

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I disagree... I enjoy music a lot I would like to call my self a wood bee audiophile and am super weary of buying used speakers you can never tell if they are blown and they will sound nice on low levels but once you get to high notes or high volume they could start to distort and be useless.

I have to agree with ric despite my original view at first glance it looked a lot nicer than it was. Someone could have run this machine into the ground.

As a sidebar to this thread discussion, I too consider myself an "amateur" audiophile(even though I have hearing aids now....from all those rock concerts I attended in the 70's & 80's:0)
What kind of speakers do you have on your home stereo(I think they call them entertainment centers now)....Bose, Klipsch, Infinity??? My main speakers on my 7.1 surround system are a pair of circa 1974 JBL L100 Century Studio Monitors(I wouldn't trade them for a truckload of newer speakers:0) I paid $300/apiece for those speakers in 1974 and back then that was a LOT of money for speakers. And I'm JBL all the way with two JBL J820M speakers for the rear surround left/right, two E10 speakers for the rear center left/right and a PSW powered sub-woofer. The thing about JBL speakers is not so much their "power handling capacity" so much as the speaker driver's "efficiency"(for my L100's it only takes 1 watt of power to drive them at 90 decibels and as far as peak power.....you would have to leave the room due to the ear discomfort at the highest volume before you would ever "blow them"). I use my Toshiba LCD TV's built-in speakers for the front center channel and they do a real good job. Sooooo....what do you keep your neighbors awake late at night with:0)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a sidebar to this thread discussion, I too consider myself an "amateur" audiophile(even though I have hearing aids now....from all those rock concerts I attended in the 70's & 80's:0)
What kind of speakers do you have on your home stereo(I think they call them entertainment centers now)....Bose, Klipsch, Infinity??? My main speakers on my 7.1 surround system are a pair of circa 1974 JBL L100 Century Studio Monitors(I wouldn't trade them for a truckload of newer speakers:0) I paid $300/apiece for those speakers in 1974 and back then that was a LOT of money for speakers. And I'm JBL all the way with two JBL J820M speakers for the rear surround left/right, two E10 speakers for the rear center left/right and a PSW powered sub-woofer. The thing about JBL speakers is not so much their "power handling capacity" so much as the speaker driver's "efficiency"(for my L100's it only takes 1 watt of power to drive them at 90 decibels and as far as peak power.....you would have to leave the room due to the ear discomfort at the highest volume before you would ever "blow them"). I use my Toshiba LCD TV's built-in speakers for the front center channel and they do a real good job. Sooooo....what do you keep your neighbors awake late at night with:0)

My 7.1 surround sound consists of 4 custom made speaker boxes each box has 3 cubes indiviually sealed one has a tweat one has a midrange and one has a 10" all focal speakers each speaker has a small amp connected to my klipsh pre amp and my klipsh amp. I have 2 12" base speakers placed strategically around my living room. With my 64" plasma you feel like you are in the movie. My dad helped me he's the real audiophile our living room stereo growing cost him over 10k not including tv

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 7.1 surround sound consists of 4 custom made speaker boxes each box has 3 cubes indiviually sealed one has a tweat one has a midrange and one has a 10" all focal speakers each speaker has a small amp connected to my klipsh pre amp and my klipsh amp. I have 2 12" base speakers placed strategically around my living room. With my 64" plasma you feel like you are in the movie. My dad helped me he's the real audiophile our living room stereo growing cost him over 10k not including tv

WOW...that's a real kicker of a system(you don't see too many Klipsch amps in home systems......I "almost" went with Klipsch speakers when I bought my first JBL's). I used to be a "Marantz-kind-of-guy" for amps/receivers(I've still got the original Marantz 2270 that I bought in 1974 and I use it as a preamp for my turntable) but when I went to Dolby Digital Surround I "downgraded" to a Pioneer Elite VS52THX(still a pretty decent amp). Bose speakers are good, but I think their "patented" dispersion design is a little overrated!! Yeah, I don't know about your wife, but when I pop in a good Blue Ray movie like A Good Day To Die Hard and crank up the surround sound my wife "complains" that it's too loud. Of course she doesn't say that when we go to a movie theater and it's just as loud of surround sound there:0)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW...that's a real kicker of a system(you don't see too many Klipsch amps in home systems......I "almost" went with Klipsch speakers when I bought my first JBL's). I used to be a "Marantz-kind-of-guy" for amps/receivers(I've still got the original Marantz 2270 that I bought in 1974 and I use it as a preamp for my turntable) but when I went to Dolby Digital Surround I "downgraded" to a Pioneer Elite VS52THX(still a pretty decent amp). Bose speakers are good, but I think their "patented" dispersion design is a little overrated!! Yeah, I don't know about your wife, but when I pop in a good Blue Ray movie like A Good Day To Die Hard and crank up the surround sound my wife "complains" that it's too loud. Of course she doesn't say that when we go to a movie theater and it's just as loud of surround sound there:0)

She mostly complains about the base she says "it rattles my brains" of course I get satisfaction when I hear that

Brucebotti

Threads

djdicetn,
We must be kindred spirits. I still have my Marantz 2270 Receiver that I also bought new in 1974 along with a Philips 212 turntable. For speakers, I bought a set of used Heil ESS AMT-1 tower speakers (also in 1974). To me, nothing sounds better than an album played on a turntable.
Bruce

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
djdicetn,
We must be kindred spirits. I still have my Marantz 2270 Receiver that I also bought new in 1974 along with a Philips 212 turntable. For speakers, I bought a set of used Heil ESS AMT-1 tower speakers (also in 1974). To me, nothing sounds better than an album played on a turntable.
Bruce

I hope the OP has gotten his/her original question answered since we have hijacked this thread for a discussion of audio equipment:0)
Yeah, small world isn't it??? I went with a Sony PS1100 turnatable and a 3M/Wollensak 8-Track Recorder(with Dolby, including Dolby FM decoder...which radio broadcast never went to & Chromium-Dioxide tape equalizer). That piece of equipment is my "Jurrasic Park" stereo component and I had new heads installed in 2004. I've got over 300 8-Tracks and about 500 albums, so if either ever becomes a collectible I guess I'll be rich:0)
I bought U2's album Joshua Tree from the Columbia Record Club before they discontinued vinyl and never opened it(just in case some nut on eBay wanted to offer me a million dollars for it:0)

So, do you still use that Marantz??? Some of the display's "light bulbs" have burned out on mine, but since I am using it as a pre-amp only it's not a big deal. I actually(in the past) used the 2270 as a separate amplifier for the center channel of my surround sound system. I remember the Heil speakers...they were very good high-end stuff back then. Yeah, my son & daughter don't even understand what the sound of a turntable(with an occasional skip) or an 8-Track changing tracks sounds like(whenever I offer to play an album or 8-Track for them they don't show much interest).

Brucebotti

Threads
I hope the OP has gotten his/her original question answered since we have hijacked this thread for a discussion of audio equipment:0)
Yeah, small world isn't it??? I went with a Sony PS1100 turnatable and a 3M/Wollensak 8-Track Recorder(with Dolby, including Dolby FM decoder...which radio broadcast never went to & Chromium-Dioxide tape equalizer). That piece of equipment is my "Jurrasic Park" stereo component and I had new heads installed in 2004. I've got over 300 8-Tracks and about 500 albums, so if either ever becomes a collectible I guess I'll be rich:0)
I bought U2's album Joshua Tree from the Columbia Record Club before they discontinued vinyl and never opened it(just in case some nut on eBay wanted to offer me a million dollars for it:0)

So, do you still use that Marantz??? Some of the display's "light bulbs" have burned out on mine, but since I am using it as a pre-amp only it's not a big deal. I actually(in the past) used the 2270 as a separate amplifier for the center channel of my surround sound system. I remember the Heil speakers...they were very good high-end stuff back then. Yeah, my son & daughter don't even understand what the sound of a turntable(with an occasional skip) or an 8-Track changing tracks sounds like(whenever I offer to play an album or 8-Track for them they don't show much interest).

I also apologize to the OP for the hijack. This has been a trip down memory lane. I used to be really into 8-tracks until someone broke into my car and stole my player and about 100 tapes, while I was in college. I even used to record my own 8 tracks with a Panasonic album to 8 track recorder. It's amazing how 8-track tapes work, and even more amazing that they didn't jam up / malfunction more. To really show my age, I even had a 4 track player in my car way back when. Most folks never even heard of them.

I still use the Marantz. The only issue with it is the FM station indicator on the dial is off slightly. Its somewhat annoying, but not worth taking apart to fix. I really love it. The precision of the analog controls and the tactile feel of it are great. I still impress people with the sound. The younger folks get bored with waiting for me to clean & "zero-stat" the albums before each use. They ask..."you have to do this every time you want to hear 20 minutes of music" ...:confused2:

I have about 250-300 albums. I liked albums because the cover and the dust jacket always made for interesting reading. Plus, you never knew what goodies might come inside the album.
Take care,
Bruce

LawnBoy97

Threads
Man, you guys are making me jealous. Not only am I in highschool, but I am also pretty much the only one in my family that cares about audio, and surround sound stuff. So that means that in our living room I have an older (early 2000's) JVC receiver I got from the Goodwill for $10, and a KLH surround sound system I got from a guy on Craigslist for $45. And then in my room I have a Harmon/Kardon 430 receiver, and a pair of Onkyo speakers I got for $10 at a garage sale. But yeah, it's a start!

Sorry for the poor picture quality, it's an old camera:confused3:

Attachments

• SAM_0404.jpg
    SAM_0404.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_0406.jpg
    SAM_0406.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_0410.jpg
    SAM_0410.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 9

slimbo

Threads
haaaaa 2 funny its not what u use to listen .....its what u listen 2 dynamo hummmm wheres it comin from