Is the Stihl Motomix 50:1 Fuel worth it?

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use Amsoil Saber in tin foil packs for perfect mix for 1 gal. made such an improvement. I had to turn down idle speed a bit. On 100% gas. Can no longer get 100% in 93 TIKO here....

But spark arrestor screens stay clean etc.

Shady oak

Threads
I use non oxygenated premium, mix in 50:1 oil and add a touch of Sea Foam. Have two saws, leaf blower, and string trimmer and have not seen the inside of a small engine repair shop in over 15 years!

Hewerb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most of the mixed in the can, off the shelf fuels are nothing more than a 93 octane with 2 cycle oil mixed in. They may be ethanol free gasoline. after talking with my Husqvarna salesman, he let it slip that their shop uses 93 with 2 cycle oil and an ethanol additive, because ethanol free is expensive and difficult to locate, and the stuff on the shelf has a double dip profit margin from the manufacturer and the dealer. The ethanol additive absorbs moisture and assures fuel in your can does not absorb moisture. It is not meant for long term storage, as it does not absorb as much as Stabil

Cajun power

Threads
there really isn't anything particularly special with any of the premix 2 C fuel. Marketing would suggest you can store this fuel for up to two years ...but I would never try to test that theory out...especially if the can was opened. In a rare situation I might buy a can of it for a one time need, but I always like fresh no ethanol gas and mix with a low ash synthetic 2 c oil myself...especially with older engines and I can mix a ratio a bit higher than what is recommended. Going a bit more with the oil mix is never a bad idea with the older gear...and some engines require 1:40..I've even seen 1:30. I've used the cheaper trufuel and there is no apparent difference in performance on a wide range of weed wackers and blowers..even the 4 mix stihl engines run it with no problems and with no performance hits. I've used the husky branded pre mix also...same result...makes no difference. But again, I like using the low to no ash 2 cycle and fresh no ethanol fuel. It seems to make big difference in terms of how much soot gets coked up at the exhaust port and muffler. I suppose the same can be accomplished if you use the pre-mix...but the price is prohibitive to the business I operate where these machines get daily full 8-10 hours or work throughout the entire mowing season. It adds up quickly and with no apparent return on performance, I avoid the little bitty expensive cans. It would be almost quadruple the expense if we did that, cutting into our budget for the other things...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
there really isn't anything particularly special with any of the premix 2 C fuel. Marketing would suggest you can store this fuel for up to two years ...but I would never try to test that theory out...especially if the can was opened. In a rare situation I might buy a can of it for a one time need, but I always like fresh no ethanol gas and mix with a low ash synthetic 2 c oil myself...especially with older engines and I can mix a ratio a bit higher than what is recommended. Going a bit more with the oil mix is never a bad idea with the older gear...and some engines require 1:40..I've even seen 1:30. I've used the cheaper trufuel and there is no apparent difference in performance on a wide range of weed wackers and blowers..even the 4 mix stihl engines run it with no problems and with no performance hits. I've used the husky branded pre mix also...same result...makes no difference. But again, I like using the low to no ash 2 cycle and fresh no ethanol fuel. It seems to make big difference in terms of how much soot gets coked up at the exhaust port and muffler. I suppose the same can be accomplished if you use the pre-mix...but the price is prohibitive to the business I operate where these machines get daily full 8-10 hours or work throughout the entire mowing season. It adds up quickly and with no apparent return on performance, I avoid the little bitty expensive cans. It would be almost quadruple the expense if we did that, cutting into our budget for the other things...

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
For professional landscapers and repair shops, canned 2 stroke mix eats into the profit margin. So, mixing their own fuel is much cheaper. For the homeowner, who uses small volumes of 2 stroke mix, the canned fuel is more convenient and there’s not much sitting around to go bad.

edporch

Threads
Stihl synthetic 2-stroke pre-mix (gray bottle) is expensive. It is also some of the best oil for the purpose on the market. As long as you use a quality oil, not some cheap Walmart crap, mix it at correct ratio (usually 50:1), and keep your gas fresh, 30-60 days, it will work fine.
In my Stihl chainsaws, I've used nothing but the gray bottle 2 stroke synthetic oil for many years.
AND I mix it with nothing but ethanol free gasoline that I can buy at the pump at a gas station not too far away.
It's so good, I can use leftover mix into the next year and it still works great. (it's in an airtight gas can)

I ALSO use nothing but ethanol free gasoline in ALL of my lawn equipment, and have had no trouble with the carburetors since I started doing this.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my Stihl chainsaws, I've used nothing but the gray bottle 2 stroke synthetic oil for many years.
AND I mix it with nothing but ethanol free gasoline that I can buy at the pump at a gas station not too far away.
It's so good, I can use leftover mix into the next year and it still works great. (it's in an airtight gas can)

I ALSO use nothing but ethanol free gasoline in ALL of my lawn equipment, and have had no trouble with the carburetors since I started doing this.

According to Steve's Small Engine Saloon, ethanol isn't the worst thing in gas station gas. At least for 2 stroke engines.

edporch

Threads
According to Steve's Small Engine Saloon, ethanol isn't the worst thing in gas station gas. At least for 2 stroke engines.
YMMV
All I know is, back when I used E10 gasoline, I had a lot more carburetor trouble with my lawn equipment when I went to get them going in the spring after sitting all winter with E10 gasoline.
I also had trouble with my 2 cycle lawn mower carburetor float needle valve going bad.
Since I switched to using E0 gasoline, I haven't had any more trouble.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea man !