Is it safe to have an additional hole drilled in the flywheel?

TylerFrankel1

Threads
  • / Is it safe to have an additional hole drilled in the flywheel?
Hey everyone quick question, just need some advice.

Long story short, I restore junk mowers to sell. I'm working on one with a sheared key. I used a puller on the flywheel but a bolt broke off in one of the puller holes. So, I drilled a new one closer to the center of the flywheel and pulled it with that. I don't think it's cracked. If it was for me I'd be perfectly comfortable using it but because I'm going to sell it I want a second opinion on it's safety. After replacing the key and reassembling it runs fine an everything, though with a bit more vibration than a different mower I compared it to. Nothing awful. So, should I be ok?
Thanks!
I can get the model no. if you really want but it shouldn't matter for this, it's more of a general question.

Romore

Threads
I would not take the chance, you could be in deep doo doo if it fails.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If noting else it is now out of balance.
Used flywheels are fairly cheap.
Every mower reapir shop ( not bigh brand sales shop ) will have buckets full of them unless they are close to an iron foundry.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Well thanks for the advice. I pulled one off of a different engine that I'm realizing is a lost cause. Someone had seized it and I unseized the piston, but the connecting rod and cylinder walls were chewed up. So, It donated a flywheel to the cause. I had to use the puller, no broken bolts this time. There was quite a bit of resistance taking it off but I think it is ok. It looked good all around. Fit right on the mower. Torqued the nut to 60 ft/lbs. The only thing is that the old flywheel had cooling fins that were unevenly spaced, but the donor replacement is evenly spaced
(staggared)
1587779477716.png
(not staggared)
1587779539769.png
I can't imagine that matters though. Thanks guys!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only if the fan fouls on the cover

4getgto

Threads
Pullers work great but I still always give them a tap on the end of the puller after you have tension on it with a brass or lead hammer. Rarely do I rely on the puller by itself.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And some heat now and then helps on some of those.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Thanks y'all. The fan doesn't interfere with anything if that's what you meant by foul. It runs right. I should have thought of using some tapping but I'm sure it's fine.