Intek 24hp outputting 20v AC. Manual says it should be 28V at 3,600rpm

derivative

Forum Newbie
I have an Intek 24hp that started to suffer from flat batteries. I checked the DC voltage from the regulator which was 0v. I also checked the AC voltage at full revs which was 20v.
I know I need a new regulator but wondered if the 20v AC was sufficient? The manual says it should be 28v AC
 
28V AC gives you 14V DC which is what the battery charge rate should be about. So 20V AC is only putting out 10V DC to the battery. Something to make sure is that you are getting battery voltage to the regulator. Without at least 9-10 volts input will not turn on the regulator to output voltage. Also make sure to make sure the regulator is grounded otherwise it won't work either.
 
Whoa wait a minute...We need to know which stator the OP has as there is 10 and 13 amp versions that has a 20 vac output. Need picture of the stator.
Briggs 5, 9 Stator.JPGBriggs 10, 13, 16 stator.JPG
 
Okay that engine has two different stators listed. Do you have a one wire or two wire version?

I suspect you have a two wire version which is the 10-13 amp version due flywheel magnet size.
 
Last edited:
It has two yellow wires coming out of it.
Which would suggest from your diagram in a previous post that 20v AC is satisfactory?
 
Because Briggs buy their alternator stators in, they have so many it is not funny
They use a colour coding system applied to the wires and the plugs
So we know you have yellow wires what we need to know is the colour & shape of the plug that the wires from the stator go into .
After that the other factor is the magnet size
Briggs put out This ID chart a long while ago
 
Back
Top