Export thread

IE9 IS THA BOMB!!!

twall

twall

OMG, IE9 is STUPID fast, and SUCH an improvement over IE8!

I don't pine for Opera anymore........it'll take some getting used to - but the lack of 50,000 extra bars has really stripped this browser down to lean-n-mean status! I hate IE as a rule, but this version has really changed my opinion!

Give it a try......do a Windows update (if you have Win 7) and it's in the updates you gotta check. I really like it! (It remembers all your favorites, and zoom, and everything from IE8) As was said in another forum, IE9 is REALLY a contender this time!

mystreba

mystreba

OMG, IE9 is STUPID fast, and SUCH an improvement over IE8!

I don't pine for Opera anymore........it'll take some getting used to - but the lack of 50,000 extra bars has really stripped this browser down to lean-n-mean status! I hate IE as a rule, but this version has really changed my opinion!

Give it a try......do a Windows update (if you have Win 7) and it's in the updates you gotta check. I really like it! (It remembers all your favorites, and zoom, and everything from IE8) As was said in another forum, IE9 is REALLY a contender this time!

Cool - definitely gonna try it out. Does it still have "In-Private" browsing? I don't want my wife to know how much time I spend on LMF :laughing:

twall

twall

Cool - definitely gonna try it out. Does it still have "In-Private" browsing? I don't want my wife to know how much time I spend on LMF :laughing:

Absolutely. One of my favorite things about IE8. :wink: Just open a new tab, just like IE8, and it's at the bottom.......

Also, the new tab gives you a 'speed dial' (ala Opera) for your most used sites! (That sentence meant nothing to those who have never used Opera)

M$ obviously paid attention this time to Opera/Firefox to see why people were leaving their browser in droves! This is by far the best IE I've ever used - this coming from someone who's used Opera (almost exclusively) since 2001!

S

Slater

I told you in the other thread :biggrin: Pretty nice, especially if you can utilize its jump list feature with Windows 7 :thumbsup:

twall

twall

I told you in the other thread:biggrin:

That WAS you! :laughing: Couldn't remember the thread, so I started a new one.

Pretty nice, especially if you can utilize its jump list feature with Windows 7 :thumbsup:

What's that? :confused:

S

Slater

That WAS you! :laughing: Couldn't remember the thread, so I started a new one.

What's that? :confused:

Haha yes that was trying to figure out your x64 problems with FF, not sure if you tried my suggestions.
Anyways here is a link to the jump list feature (bottom of the page)
Seamless with Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

I will say not everyone will use it, but I use it all the time now because the websites I frequent have integrated it very well. You can think of it as creating glorified shortcuts for different websites. I have bing.com pinned on the bottom and it is a good example if you right click the icon you can go directly to weather, travel, news, etc. without having to open the browser than navigate to it. But its worth checking out! :thumbsup:

twall

twall

Haha yes that was trying to figure out your x64 problems with FF, not sure if you tried my suggestions.
Anyways here is a link to the jump list feature (bottom of the page)
Seamless with Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

I will say not everyone will use it, but I use it all the time now because the websites I frequent have integrated it very well. You can think of it as creating glorified shortcuts for different websites. I have bing.com pinned on the bottom and it is a good example if you right click the icon you can go directly to weather, travel, news, etc. without having to open the browser than navigate to it. But its worth checking out! :thumbsup:

It won't let me pin LMF to the taskbar (or anything else, for that matter).....just make a link on the desktop, or pin it to IE's list...:frown:

I figured it out - the only way to do it is to drag the tab containing what you want pinned to the taskbar. That's the only way it works for me - no matter WHAT the M$ site says!

twall

twall

Slater,

I did get both Opera and Firefox to install finally. The plugins? well, that's another tale....

As far as web surfing goes, I can't tell any real difference between the three. Im NOT gonna try Chrome, because of the headaches it was to install the other two, for no good reason!

I read that IE cracks under heavy multi-tab stress, but I avoid multi-tabs as much as possible. I have a max of three at once, and that is for limited times only.

Other than that, my OP stands....IE 9 IS THA BOMB!!!!

S

Slater

Slater,

I did get both Opera and Firefox to install finally. The plugins? well, that's another tale....

As far as web surfing goes, I can't tell any real difference between the three. Im NOT gonna try Chrome, because of the headaches it was to install the other two, for no good reason!

I read that IE cracks under heavy multi-tab stress, but I avoid multi-tabs as much as possible. I have a max of three at once, and that is for limited times only.

Other than that, my OP stands....IE 9 IS THA BOMB!!!!

Glad you are enjoying it :thumbsup: I personally haven't had issues running IE9 with a lot of tabs. I run usually 30-50 tabs at a time, but I also have an overclocked Hexacore machine with 24GB of RAM, so I don't think any browser would cause any problems :biggrin: Glad to hear the others installed, not sure why you had so much trouble or why the plugins are creating issues. Chrome is blazing fast and very lean which is really nice, but if you are enjoying IE9, I don't see any reason to jump to Chrome especially since they improved IE so much.

twall

twall

Glad you are enjoying it :thumbsup: I personally haven't had issues running IE9 with a lot of tabs. I run usually 30-50 tabs at a time, but I also have an overclocked Hexacore machine with 24GB of RAM, so I don't think any browser would cause any problems :biggrin: Glad to hear the others installed, not sure why you had so much trouble or why the plugins are creating issues. Chrome is blazing fast and very lean which is really nice, but if you are enjoying IE9, I don't see any reason to jump to Chrome especially since they improved IE so much.

That's my thought as well. Did you know that IE9 just surpassed Opera in downloads?

I can't say enough about it - because I can't believe it! EVERY, I mean EVERY upgrade in number (3 to four, four to five, etc.....) has been another ho-hum bloated affair. NOT THIS TIME! WOW!

I actually had a chubby for IE9 after YOUR reccomendation. You came through! Thanks!

mystreba

mystreba

That's my thought as well. Did you know that IE9 just surpassed Opera in downloads?

I can't say enough about it - because I can't believe it! EVERY, I mean EVERY upgrade in number (3 to four, four to five, etc.....) has been another ho-hum bloated affair. NOT THIS TIME! WOW!

I actually had a chubby for IE9 after YOUR reccomendation. You came through! Thanks!

I upgraded today, and it's very good. I will not comment any further on chubby status.

twall

twall

I upgraded today, and it's very good. I will not comment any further on chubby status.

:laughing:.....and they say IIIII am the funny man! :smile:

Isn't it unlike any other 'upgrade'? It's so strange to get this good of a product from M$...:laughing:

mystreba

mystreba

Isn't it unlike any other 'upgrade'? It's so strange to get this good of a product from M$...:laughing:

I have to say that I miss the drop-down box associated with the "BACK" button. Unless I'm missing something, all you can do is click "BACK" one at a time - you can't select a page to go "BACK" to.

twall

twall

I have to say that I miss the drop-down box associated with the "BACK" button. Unless I'm missing something, all you can do is click "BACK" one at a time - you can't select a page to go "BACK" to.

Next to the magnifying glass in the addy bar...the dinky arrow...you can go back as far as you want.....:biggrin:

Still finding the tricks to this myself..........The 'pinned' bit is fluff......I've had trouble with sites freezing while doing normal stuff.....

Example: I open LMF through the pinned taskbar icon. Great. Loads right up. Forum's dead - nobody's replied. I go to refresh the page to see if any LMF icons lit up - it just sits there and has the spinning thing in the tab......and spins....and spins......four minutes go by. I get mad. I close it, re-open through the pinned icon on the taskbar.....*BING* it opens right NOW. Go through the regular IE opening/navigating procedure to get to LMF? Not a hitch all night. Does it for Ebay and FB, too.

So, just don't rely on the 'pinned' stuff......if you even use it at all......:thumbdown:

K

KennyV

With all the good you are saying about IE9 ... I may have to look at it...
I got so weak on IE that I went with ForeFox long ago. thinking I'd never go back...
I will have to look at it, maybe this wk end... :smile:KennyV

S

Slater

I agree about their previous "upgrades" , pretty disappointing, but IE9 is what happens when competition breeds. Everybody better come with their A-game or they are going to lose pretty quick! I can't say enough about the other browsers either, I have just been very happy with the new things that IE9 has brought to the table :licking:

201104-ww.png

BTW I can't believe how many people are still running IE6 and IE7 :confused3: (If there was a *facepalm* smiley I would use it right now.)

mystreba

mystreba

Next to the magnifying glass in the addy bar...the dinky arrow...you can go back as far as you want

That's where I expected it to be, but that feature only gives me recent history and favorites, which isn't what I was looking for.

As it happens, I just found what I was looking for as I was writing this response!

Right-click on the "BACK" arrow and you'll see it :cool:

BKBrown

BKBrown

Mine has a little down arrow next to the back and forward arrows.
There must be different versions of IE9 for your OS version. :confused3:

Are you using the compatibillity view ?

S

Slater

Still finding the tricks to this myself..........The 'pinned' bit is fluff......I've had trouble with sites freezing while doing normal stuff.....

Interesting I haven't had any problems with pinning.

@BKBrown
Are you running Windows XP? IE9 is only available for Windows Vista and W7. If running XP then you probably still have IE8 and if you are running Vista or 7 maybe you haven't updated yet? I forget on IE8 but there should be a dropdown menu somewhere where you can select "About Internet Explorer" and it will tell you what version you have.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I forget on IE8 but there should be a dropdown menu somewhere where you can select "About Internet Explorer" and it will tell you what version you have.

With most applications, you go to the "Help" menu and click on "About [application name]".

I have a 32-bit machine running XP-pro so I can't get IE9 but this is still an interesting thread -- but none of the new features seem to me to be game-changers.

Here's one browser feature I'd like to see: a smart resource manager for both javascripts and flash. Example: if a javascript is looping endlessly it would be smart enough to shut it off.

S

Slater

With most applications, you go to the "Help" menu and click on "About [application name]".

Yes, but with most browsers (FF,IE9, Chrome) now they have forgone the traditional drop down menus and made 6 menus into one or two icons, then you have your options or navigation through there. Thats why I couldn't remember off the top of my head and since I didn't know what version he has, then I didn't know what he would be looking at. IMO none of it is a game changer from Chrome or FF, but from IE8 it sure is. As far as features, there aren't a ton added, but what they improved on from before was speed, UI, speed, compatibility, speed, and security :biggrin:

twall

twall

"About Internet Explorer" IS in a drop-down menu in IE 9 - it's the little gear in the upper right-hand corner......it's right at the bottom of the menu that pops down. :smile:

mystreba

mystreba

Mine has a little down arrow next to the back and forward arrows.
There must be different versions of IE9 for your OS version. :confused3:

Are you using the compatibillity view ?

I am using compatibility view, but that only changes the display of web content - not the navigation bar. I'm running Windows 7, IE 9.0.8112.16421.

BKBrown

BKBrown

View attachment LMF Recent Pages 1.doc Same Windows 7 and Same IE version -- that down arrow shows Recent Pages ???

I am using compatibility view, but that only changes the display of web content - not the navigation bar. I'm running Windows 7, IE 9.0.8112.16421.

mystreba

mystreba

View attachment 1813 Same Windows 7 and Same IE version -- that down arrow shows Recent Pages ???

Ah. I'm betting you have add-ons enabled. I dumped all the add-ons. See attached.

Also - you sure you're running Windows 7?

Attachments

BKBrown

BKBrown

Yep - Win 7 (classic view)

Yes I allow Adobe, Microsoft, & AVG (antivirus) add ons

mystreba

mystreba

Hm, so it may not be a function of the add-ons, but rather a function of the "view". You may only get those arrows in the classic view.

S

Slater

The classic view is the culprit. Still functions well, just not with all of the pretty UI :smile: