Ideas on cleaning under deck

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I have mowed 4 times so far this season. After each mowing I run the front of the turf tiger 61 inch cut up onto my trailer ramps. I get underneath the deck and with a putty knife I scrape. There has got to be a better way of cleaning the underside of the mower deck. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and comments.

-bobby

Bobby Boyd

Threads
What about using "Fluid Film" under the deck?

-bobby

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been cleaning them for forty years that way. If you find a better way please let us know. Forget about the spray film, waste of $$$$$. We also pressure wash them when ever possible.

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Thanks Rivets for your reply. I thought about pressure washing but have also read that isn't necessarily a good thing. What's your thought on this?

-bobby

plateauman57

Threads
Been a Scag owner for six years and just joined the forum. I just traded my 48" Tiger Cub in on a 61" Turf Tiger and that was one of my concerns. The dealer acted as tho the problem doesn't exist on my new one as it did on my old one. I figured that wasn't correct and it appears I was right.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We scrap the decks and pressure wash every unit that comes in for a full check over. Haven't had any problems. The only problems that could arise are not being careful and taking the paint off and punching a hole in decks that get to thin.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Although I like my Scag Tiger Cub, I have never had a machine that collects so much under the deck. I mowed commercially for years with Ingersoll GTs with collection systems and never had the buildup that the Scag deck deck collects. The decks on my Ingersolls comes off in about 30 seconds and I flip them over to clean them which wasn't very often, but removing the decks on most ZTRs is far from practicle. I have a pit in my garage and I position the machine over it and pull the pit covers out and scrape the deck with thick SnapOn putty knives that I keep sharp on my bench grinder.
It is difficult to not scrap into the paint when cleaning the Scag deck and the areas where the paint is missing, the grass sticks more.
So the time gained from quick turning and faster ground speed while mowing is more than lost when it comes to deck cleaning time unfortunately. I have a collection system on my Tiger Cub and the grass builds up in the blower housing to the point where I need to remove the impeller in order to clean behind it. With a collection system there is a different set of baffles installed under the deck to reduce blowout and these baffles add to the time that it takes to clean the deck.
However I still prefer this machine over the GTs that I have used for years, but it took a season and a half of operation to get accustomed to this ZTR.
With the lack of rain here in CT, the grass is slow growing and very dry so there is no buildup at all under the Scag deck which is great for the deck but bad for my pocketbook!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:smile::biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

Bobby Boyd

Threads
I don't like the idea of spraying water under the deck to clean it. My dealer however said that was the way to do it. My neighbor said he has seen zero turns at the car wash.

I purchased a really nice scraper off the internet that is curved and seems to do a better job than a squared off putty knife. But the squared off putty knife worked fine for the most part.

Fluid Film was another idea but someone said to forget it and save my $$$. Having searched the web on the subject I must agree.

Does anyone know how much a new deck would cost for a 61 inch turf tiger, including installation? I'm just curious to know. My turf tiger is brand new so it will be many years before I will need to replace the deck.

I'm trying to learn as much about my new turf tiger as possible and want to take care of my new machine.

Thanks again for all the input and insight to my post.

-bobby

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Washing the deck regularly is the best way to keep it operating properly and lasting as long as possible. The build up of grass and debris under the deck will not only not allow discharge the grass properly and will start the corrosion faster than water. Don't know the cost of a new deck, but if it is like other manufactures, my guess is big bucks.

BobbyR

Threads
I just use a garden hose with a nozzle attachment on the end to wash my decks underneath. The pressure is not great enough to damage the paint, and it does a great job of washing out the grass and dirt build up after each use. My Snapper RER is 22 years old and my Murray riding mower is about 12 years old and the decks on both are in great condition. All you need to do is drive the mower up on some ramps so you can get under the deck enough to wash it out good. After washing it, I park it out in the sun for an hour or so it's nice and dry when I park it in the shed.