Hustler Raptor SD 60

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are other cadmium plated parts on the machine, are the oxidized also?
Part of the engine serial number is the manufacture date code. I'm not familiar with Kawasaki date codes, but this will tell you when the engine was manufactured which will give you an idea when the machine was assembled.
I would bring up the clutch engagement problem with the dealer initially and as the conversation progresses, bring up the oxidation problem on what is a new machine. I know what they will say as I have been on that side of the counter.
Your machine could be several model years old as some new models have Kohler 700 series engines on them.
I have a 2012 X-ONE that is stored in a shed with a dirt floor and the engine is cleaner than yours.
Just my thoughts!!!
In 2008 I passed on a machine that was new old stock and was a 2004 model. Although the price was OK, I wasn't OK with an engine that looked like yours and rust on some of the parts on the machine.
The bottom line is that the machine should operate as intended!!!

jaredschwartz

Threads
From looking at your pics, there is no doubt that your machine was stored in a very damp environment, particularly seeing the starter motor which has a cadmium plated steel housing.
Many dealers don't have covered or closed storage areas for new machines, they leave them in the shipment condition and stack them up outside.
It is your decision as to how to approach this with the selling dealer, but for sure I would go there and talk with them.
Is your dealer close to the ocean?
Is there a possibility that they had flooding in their area recently?
Are able to get under the machine and look at the electric clutch to check it for rust and or corrosion?

Here are some pics of the electric clutchIMG_2218.JPGIMG_2217.JPGIMG_2216.JPG

jaredschwartz

Threads
There are other cadmium plated parts on the machine, are the oxidized also?
Part of the engine serial number is the manufacture date code. I'm not familiar with Kawasaki date codes, but this will tell you when the engine was manufactured which will give you an idea when the machine was assembled.
I would bring up the clutch engagement problem with the dealer initially and as the conversation progresses, bring up the oxidation problem on what is a new machine. I know what they will say as I have been on that side of the counter.
Your machine could be several model years old as some new models have Kohler 700 series engines on them.
I have a 2012 X-ONE that is stored in a shed with a dirt floor and the engine is cleaner than yours.
Just my thoughts!!!
In 2008 I passed on a machine that was new old stock and was a 2004 model. Although the price was OK, I wasn't OK with an engine that looked like yours and rust on some of the parts on the machine.
The bottom line is that the machine should operate as intended!!!

There is a manufacture date on the engine data tag and it sais 06/15, should I tell the dealer please exchange this mower for one with no corrosion or please give me my money back? Is this even a option? I like my stuff to be pristine and I did not buy a brand new mower to have it look like it was dipped in the ocean.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can see in your pics that there is rust on the clutch and oxidation on the muffler. There is no doubt in my mind that this machine has been around for a while and stored either outside and or in a very damp environment. Most anywhere in Florida is damp!!!
As for a relative having bought an X-ONE that was clean, not many dealers stock the higher end machines and order them in from a distributor when needed.
My local Hustler dealer buys trailer loads of Raptor models as they get better pricing and cheaper freight charges when the do this. Your dealer probably does the same.
Many mower manufacturers make 24 month production runs of specific models, so a new machine could be two years old and possibly older, but still new.
Unlike cars and trucks, not much changes on mowers as the years pass.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
With you engine having a 6/15 date, then your machine was built at a later date probably 7-8/15. This being said, you know how the machine was stored with the condition it is in.
As I mentioned, I would approach the dealer with the clutch engagement question initially and then bring up the oxidation/rust situation if you need more discussion leverage.
Always, buyer beware!!!

jaredschwartz

Threads
I am going to speak with the dealer again tomorrow and try to work something out. I will update this thread and let everyone know how it goes. Wish me luck!!!

Tom59

Threads
I remember when I was looking for a ZTR 3 yrs ago , a couple dealers , one in particular just stored them outside. They come in big crates they were covered in water. I told my wife lets move on I prefer a dry storage for a 4-5-6k dollar mower.

I'm wondering in winter months they leave them there also. -hopefully not

Secondly , my machine is a 2013 and has zero oxidation on the engine. The hydro's are also clean.

jaredschwartz

Threads
I went into the dealer today, all the new mower stock is stored out back stacked in there metal shipping cages. This dealer carries scag, hustler, toro, grasshopper and wright. I walked out back to where all these mowers were as I had permission from the owner. Most of the mowers had a nice piece of plastic wrapped neatly around them from the factory including the hustlers ( except for a few ) . I saw the same exact mower as mine sitting in its shipping cage with no plastic or anything. It was actually more corroded, oxidized, rusted and pitted than mine. So the owner comes out and he already knows my story. He said "what do you think". I said "it's a shame that all these brand new mowers are sitting out in the rain and humidity rotting away" He said "Ya I hear ya but i have know other choice, if I rent the big warehouse next to me I have to pay a extra $4000 a month and my prices will have to go up" I said "ok, well why aren't some of the mowers wrapped in plastic" he said "hustler literally just started wrapping them in plastic and before they were not" . I wasn't able to determine the condition of the mowers wrapped in plastic because the plastic was to hard to see through. So anyways I left there feeling better about my mower because mine actually looks better than most of the other ones sitting outside including the scags and grasshoppers, they were corroded to from being on display outside. So on the way back home I stopped at another dealer that sells ferris, husqvarna and ex mark. Most of there mowers are outside for sale and sit outside all day long on display and I'm not sure if they get stored inside at night or still sit outside just locked up around back. Anyways there new mowers were in even worse shape than the dealer I bought mine at. So to sum it all up, I'm happy with my mower and I'm glad it's not in as bad of shape as some of the other brand new zero turns I looked at today. I think that any mower dealer that wants to keep mowers in stock, the stock should be stored in a warehouse out of the weather. Just my opinion. On my next mower I will definitely look it over a lot better before I take it home. Also about the pto, it's working fine now, must of just needed more run time.

kraky

Threads
That Florida air must be something else. That kind of corrosion wouldnt happen in wisconsin for many many months. (Unless we parked stuff next to the highway in the winter and the salt trucks and snow plows threw the magic slush all over them).
Years ago I was in southern Texas and couldn't believe how "sunbaked" the paint was on late model farm tractors. So we got winter road salt....you got humid salt/rain....Texas has sunburn.....guess there's trouble in a few places.

gabowman

Threads
It's ashamed a company would seell a mower as new looking like that. I agree it's cosmetic but still...

Napa sells a cleaner that used to be called "Jupiter". The name has changed (maybe "Wheel and Grill" now?!?) but is the same stuff for @ $8-$10 a gallon. You spray it on and rinse it off and aluminum will look like brand new. Only works on aluminum though.

As far as engaging the blades you should check your owners manual. I have the Fast Trak SD and if I'm not mistaken it says to engage on a full throttle. I'd have to look now but I think that's what it recommends. Good luck with your new mower. :)