Husqvarna yth23v48

Aldo0280

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a husqvarna yth23v48 mower used for well what i thought was a good deal because the ppl selling it said it was running rough so i kinda figured it needed the carb cleaned & maybe valves adjusted wich it did or at least i cleaned the carb & adjusted the valve anyways but the mower qould start right up & run but when i got it home & ran it for a bit it started to smoke bad out of the exhaust & it was oil smoke at first i thought maybe it would burn off since there was a ton of grease & grim o the exhaust but it didnt so anyways after a lil searching online i was hoping that it was maybe the head gasket well srry let me back up when checking it out trying to figure out the problem i found that there was only the pre air filter in it & it looked like there was some dirt that had gotten past it & into the carb/motor wich im now wondering if thats my problem but i first pulled the breather assembly out because i could see the breather line was puking oil into the carb so i pulled the breather apart & cleaned it up wich actually seemed to make it worse so then after searching online i was hoping it was the head gasket i had some oil seeping from my fuel pump from the lil mesh or whatever it is in the middle & i saw something about after it warms up to shut it off & pull the dipstick out & see if there is smoke in side wich there was idk if that matters or not? So anyways i did a compression test & it has 150psi in both cylinders? Wich seems good to me but i pulled one of the heads off but couldnt find anything that looked obvious as far as a bad gasket but while i had the head off & would rotate the motor over everytime the piston came back out it would push a bit of oil out with it? Is this normal i cant imagine it is so if not could i maybe have good compression rings but bad oil rings? I have ordered a set of new gaskets for both heads but im inpatient so i ran around town & found the only 1 head gasket i could find & i put it on the side that i thought was bad & it did seem to smoke less while running but its still puking alot of oil out the breather hose into the carb & its still smoking pretty good. Is it common for both head gaskets to be bad at the same time & or is there any other way that pressure can get into the crancase? Oh & btw the motor on this mower is a 23hp briggs and stratton intek twin cylinder ohv motor i think the motor model num is 445577 any advice or help would be very much appreciate thank u!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What did the cylinder walls look like. Was there still signs of the crosshatch pattern on the cylinder walls, or are they smooth with a lip at the top of the cylinder. I suspect from your description that you have a dirt ingestion wear issue which will wear all internal parts in a hurry, especially the newer engines that rely on tight tolerances to function properly.