HRX217HYA with grinding noise

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
Really hard to say what is actually making the sound (belt, guide, internal part?). If you bought from Home Depot, they will just exchange. Take it to a Honda Dealer for possible warranty repairs. If nothing else, a trained tech at the dealer would be able to tell you if the sound is "normal' or not.

I bought it at Home Depot so I'll more than likely just exchange it. I did make a short video of the noise. This is with out the blades on. The noise sounds way louder in person than on video. I did notice if you lift the mower up it doesn't make the noise but once it touches the ground and has some resistance it makes the noise. It's worse at low speeds. Here is the video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FwWSJwzfmaM&feature=youtu.be

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's probably the moving parts in the wheels.... Spray lube will probably fix

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes make sure you get in between all the gears if possible I would try to spin the gear while your spraying helps get in all the nooks if the noise is still persistant I would exhange or take it to a Honda dealer but I have a feeling they aren't lubed. When I bought my Honda every thing was dry when I pulled it out of the box while lithium grease is my favorite wd40 doesn't work needs something thicker

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want to examine the rear wheel / gears for yourself, here's a page from the shop manual. Careful, small parts ahead!

Grease should be applied where indicated; use general purpose NLGI #2 grease (at any auto parts store).

Pagesfrommlrepaw95ahrx217_hya_zpsefba145f.jpg

Joeyg023

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went ahead and exchanged the mower for another one and this one is good. It only makes that noise when I first pull the handle but it immediately goes away. Another thing I noticed..the other mower wouldn't even start or stay running on SLOW until it was warmed up. I had to start it on fast or half way in between. This mower starts right up on slow no problem.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went ahead and exchanged the mower for another one and this one is good. It only makes that noise when I first pull the handle but it immediately goes away. Another thing I noticed..the other mower wouldn't even start or stay running on SLOW until it was warmed up. I had to start it on fast or half way in between. This mower starts right up on slow no problem.

For best results and consistent starting, always move the throttle lever to the FAST position when starting the mower. This ensures it will get the proper amount of fuel to start easily, and warm up quickly. It can take about three minutes for the engine to fully warm up, and then you should be able to get smooth operation with the throttle set in any position (SLOW<-->FAST).

hyathrottle_zpsb6d848a6.jpg

Remember, always keep the throttle set to FAST when mowing. This keeps the blades spinning at the best possible speed for smooth and finished cut.