HRX217HYA May need new rings?

shacky

Threads
Yeah - I agree with you. I wanted to rest my mind about the low compression report from dealer - which BTW is the dealer I bought it from. Though the owners when I bought it I believe have turned it over to younger family. I haven't seen the parents last few times I was there.

So it's on to a new dealer next time.

Can someone help ,e identify carb number and gaskets to order?

shacky

Threads
Never mind I went to Repair Clinic.com and see everything I need. I had already ordered new air filter housing and cover.

Item #: 1617300
Description: Carburetor Gasket
Price: $1.55
Quantity: 1
Availability: In Stock
Item Total: $1.55

Item #: 1617297
Description: Carburetor Gasket
Price: $1.60
Item Total: $1.60

Item #: 1617301
Description: Insulator Gasket
Price: $1.50
Item Total: $1.50

Item #: 1617341
Description: Air Cleaner Gasket
Price: $2.10
Item Total: $2.10

Item #: 1796110
Description: Blade
Price: $14.65
Item Total: $14.65

Item #: 1796111
Description: Blade
Price: $14.65
Item Total: $14.65

Item #: 1796352
Description: Governor Spring
Price: $1.30
Item Total: $1.30

Need help replacing this part? Part Replacement video for Part #1796352.

Item #: 1617393
Description: Insulator Gasket
Price: $5.80
Item Total: $5.80

Item #: 2113934
Description: Carburetor
Price: $16.95
Item Total: $16.95

Item #: 1617361
Description: Valve Cover
Price: $4.55
Item Total: $4.55

shacky

Threads
Shouldn't I check valve clearance while cover is off? I'll have to pick up metric feeler gauge to do so. :confused:

magbarn

Threads
You might as well, I wouldn't trust that dealer with changing rings after they've botched a much simpler carb swap....

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked up that serial number and this specific mower was part of a Product Safety Recall back in 2007. According to Honda records, the needed repairs have NOT been completed on this mower.

The issue is the Roto-Stop return spring might break, which would allow the blades to keep spinning even when the blade control lever is released. The fix is to install an updated spring, and this is done at no charge, regardless of the age or warranty status of the mower.

Please DO NOT USE this mower until a servicing Honda Dealer has updated it with the new-style Roto-Stop spring. Here's a copy of the letter sent to registered owners back in 2007:

lm81letter_zpsd90cd75c.jpg

When you contact your dealer, tell them to reference Honda Mower Service Bulletin #81, Product Safety Recall, "Broken Roto-Stop Return Spring." Again, the dealer will make the repair to replace this spring at no charge to you (you do need to deliver and pick-up the mower from the dealer).

Find a Honda Dealer here; be sure to click on SERVICE and LAWN MOWERS and then enter your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

shacky

Threads
Thanks Robert!

shacky

Threads
Honestly, I believe you're barking up the wrong tree. Your symptoms sound mostly carb i.e. Air/fuel mixture related. If you have good power when running full throttle, then the shop that put your new carb in either put in a suspect carb or reused gaskets and introduced an air leak. I'd just by a new carb which is really cheap and replace every single gasket between the carb and the block. The problem is that you've also taken off the cam cover off which is notorious for warping with removal. For safeties sake I would replace with a new one and get some new Hondabond to seal it to rule out another potential air leak.

How would valve cover introduce another vacuum leak?

magbarn

Threads
How would valve cover introduce another vacuum leak?

If you somehow warped it upon removal which happens more often than not. I guess if you apply enough goop it should form a good seal anyway. You can also buy the much better quality and thicker cam cover for the GSV190 motor. Someone here did it but I believe they had to use shorter bolts.

shacky

Threads
Just wondering how loose valve cover would introduce vacuum leak to intake. I can see how it would leak oil but unless there is PCV connection to intake I couldn't see the vacuum leak on intake.

shacky

Threads
Well I can now positively say the dealer was full of doo doo telling me compression was low. That is unless 118 is low. I removed exhaust rocker and this is what I got: