HRX217HYA blade

ammodave

Threads
It's time for a new blade on my mower. I've never really been satisfied with the bagging with the oem blade. Is there an aftermarket blade that does a better job (I never mulch)? I noticed another post that suggested removing the 2nd blade for better bagging; does that help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Standard is 2 high lift & 2 low lift if you have a blade plate & use swing back blades.
4 high lift will pack the bag so full you will not be able to carry it.
I have a lot of contractors who fit 4 high lifts bcause when time = money emptying the bag 3 times comparred to emptying when you get back to the trailer makes a lot more money, even if you get a hernia lifting the bag.
The local aftermarket supplier does a thicker blade & bolt set and they are popular with the contractors but the lift is the same.
The mowers with a blade bar are pathetic when it comes to bagging compared to the disc & swing backs.

primerbulb120

Threads
Standard is 2 high lift & 2 low lift if you have a blade plate & use swing back blades.
4 high lift will pack the bag so full you will not be able to carry it.
I have a lot of contractors who fit 4 high lifts bcause when time = money emptying the bag 3 times comparred to emptying when you get back to the trailer makes a lot more money, even if you get a hernia lifting the bag.
The local aftermarket supplier does a thicker blade & bolt set and they are popular with the contractors but the lift is the same.
The mowers with a blade bar are pathetic when it comes to bagging compared to the disc & swing backs.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 4 blades. The Honda HRX217HYA has two blades that are stacked on top of each other. Here's a picture:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OD42SLdYzJ8/maxresdefault.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Local variations
Down here they all come standard with a blade disc and swing back blades.
If you want a bar blade you have to order it special.
bar blades are dangerious on push mowers and most time do a poorer cut that a disc with swing backs.

primerbulb120

Threads
Local variations
Down here they all come standard with a blade disc and swing back blades.
If you want a bar blade you have to order it special.
bar blades are dangerious on push mowers and most time do a poorer cut that a disc with swing backs.

Interesting! I did not know that any push mowers came standard with swing back blades. :confused2: Do all the mowers in your area have them, or just the higher end models?

If they give a better cut and are less dangerous, I would be interested in a set for my Craftsman push mower. Where do you buy them?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Back in the 50's Victa had 75% of the local market and exported to 22 countries.
Victa used their own engine , a disc shaped blade carrier and 4" long swing back blades.
So just about every one else did similar.
They tried twice to export to Amercia.
In the 70's the swing back blade was considered to dangerious for Amercians to use. It was OK in Germany, France, Sweeden & the UK
In the 80's they tried again with the vortex but it was "too quiet" and had to be modified to make it louder and have a visual indicator that the engine was running.

However I had always assumed the Honda's we got down here were the same as those you got over there but it would seem not

ammodave

Threads
All I'm finding are standard blades in N. America. Any high lift blades available Here? Does it help to remove the upper blade?

primerbulb120

Threads
However I had always assumed the Honda's we got down here were the same as those you got over there but it would seem not

Nope, all the push mowers I have ever seen over here have bar type blades. Some have two blades stacked on top of each other, but that's the most I've ever seen.

EDIT: I think the hover mowers down here use swing back blades, but the wheeled ones do not.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it help to remove the upper blade?

Because the 2-blades bolted together on the tip of the engine's crankshaft contribute to the overall structual intergity of the mower, Honda specifically recommends NEVER using just a single blade; always use BOTH blades.