Repairs HRX217HXA transmission

goat roper

Threads
Hello all,
I have a broken cable on the transmission for this self propelled mower. My question, what is the best way to go about removing the assembly from the mower to replace this cable. Or is it necessary to remove the transmission?

Thanks for any help here,
Goat Roper

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all,
I have a broken cable on the transmission for this self propelled mower. My question, what is the best way to go about removing the assembly from the mower to replace this cable. Or is it necessary to remove the transmission?

Thanks for any help here,
Goat Roper

You must remove the transmission to replace the cable. It is not difficult, but there are a number of steps. You will need some fine needle-nose or circlip pliers to remove the circlips from the drive axle, and the rear scroll (covers the drive belt) must come off as well. The mower will need to be turned upside down, so drain the oil and fuel as step 1. A shop manual can save you a lot of time and frustration, as it has the full procedure including detailed illustrations. Honda sells paper copies direct on eBay and Amazon (Free shipping):

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

goat roper

Threads
Thanks fellows for the replies on replacing the cable. I did manage to get it replaced without removing the transmission or the belt. I removed both rear wheels, gears that drive the wheels and snap rings, moved the transmission to the right as far as possible, and with a pair of long needlenose pliers was able to install the new clip that came with the new cable with a little patience it all worked out.

Thanks again.
Goat Roper