HRR2167VKA mower rear wheels lock up

tommaple

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought an HRR2167VKA mower at Home Depot last year. I use it about 10 hours a week. About 90% of the time when I pull the mower backwards the rear wheels immediately and completely lock up. It's fine going forward. Any advice? Thanks!

Bullitt66

Threads
I'm sure you'll get an answer soon from someone with more knowledge than me. That being said, it sounds like the drive cable is not fully releasing. Maybe try adjusting the drive cable.

tommaple

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bullitt,
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to adjust the Smart Drive cable to a couple of different postions but I'm not sure I did it correctly. Still have the same problem.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
A common cause of resistance when rolling backwards is dirt/debris/drag on the rear axle. Here's a drawing showing all the parts; suggest disassembling as shown, clean and lubricate.

If the problem persists, could be a damaged drive clutch cable, but try the clean-up procedure first.

Attachments

• hrr216 vka rear axle clean.jpg
    hrr216 vka rear axle clean.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 286
Threads
My mower (I have the same one) does that if a lot of grass gets stuck in between the wheels. All I have to do is get my blower and blow the grass out or use a little scraper and push it out, then it works fine. So.......I agree with Robert.

kinard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with rear wheels locking on my Honda Smart Drive mower. I have adjusted the drive cable multiple times, cleaned the debris, oil/greased the bearings, Either the rear wheels lock completely, or if not, the mower does not roll easily backward--lots of resistance. Apparently, the drive system is not releasing when the smart handles are released. I have owned this mower for about 5 months. Will get a Toro as a backup when I take this back to Home Depot for repairs.

G-3opns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna YTH22V42

I have a Husqvarna Riding Mower YTH22V42. I changed the Vbelt with the parking brake on. Returned the deck with
new belt installed. For some reason the rear wheels locked up, after releasing the brake. Any suggestions

loco-diablo

Threads
Re: Husqvarna YTH22V42

I have a Husqvarna Riding Mower YTH22V42. I changed the Vbelt with the parking brake on. Returned the deck with
new belt installed. For some reason the rear wheels locked up, after releasing the brake. Any suggestions

You may want to start a new topic in the Husqvarna forum for this. It kinda gets lost here. :smile:

Pixburd

Threads
A common cause of resistance when rolling backwards is dirt/debris/drag on the rear axle. Here's a drawing showing all the parts; suggest disassembling as shown, clean and lubricate.

If the problem persists, could be a damaged drive clutch cable, but try the clean-up procedure first.

Thanks for the help here!

Concerning not being able to pull the mower backwards, Let me add some clarification.

1. Robert's post here cleans and lubes the inner axle bushing, which is accessed from beneath the mower via the 1" snap ring. This is a relatively easy fix.

2. Others have mentioned the ratcheting key inside the drive gear which also needs cleaning and lube. This is accessed behind the rear wheels via 1/2" snap rings, and is more involved. The parts drawing does not show orientation of the gear, so note it when disassembling. Also note the disassembly of all the little parts, as there are numerous. This is a more difficult fix.

3. For those who need snap ring pliers, Harbor Freight has an 11 piece kit which works great. #92374 costs like $14 with their 20% coupon.