HRM2153SDA mower hard to start -is choke closed all the way?

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRM2153SDA mower hard to start -is choke closed all the way?
choke.pnghonda choke3.jpgView attachment 26463Hi,
I have cleaned the carburetor and put new gas in and mower is very hard to start ...once started, it runs great.
I sprayed some starter spray into hole in air cleaner and engine starts first pull..done twiceView attachment 26463....so it seems its not getting gas?
I've read several other threads looking for ideas.... and they center around the choke not all the way closed.
Here is a picture with the choke closed....seems like it could go a little farther but not sure.
Does it seem closed? If so, what would I look at next?
Thanks

model: HRM2153SDA
SN MZBB6422974

there is no way to add a picture....should be simple....but doesn't work....had to take a valid jpg and convert to .png

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
View attachment 26464View attachment 26463Hi,
I have cleaned the carburetor and put new gas in and mower is very hard to start ...once started, it runs great.
I sprayed some starter spray into hole in air cleaner and engine starts first pull..done twiceView attachment 26463....so it seems its not getting gas?
I've read several other threads looking for ideas.... and they center around the choke not all the way closed.
Here is a picture with the choke closed....seems like it could go a little farther but not sure.
Does it seem closed? If so, what would I look at next?

I think it could close a bit more. Ensure the linkage is not binding and double-check the cables..you should be able to turn the adjusters and move the choke all the way closed.

How's the air cleaner? A dirty or clogged one will restrict air flow and effect running/starting performance.

If you still have starting problems when the choke is absolutely, positively fully-closed, there may be debris or gunk inside the carb. A complete cleaning would be a good idea. Here's a link on how to thoroughly clean a typical Honda carburetor:

How to Clean a Honda Carburetor

Plan B is to fit a new carb if you aren't comfortable with full carb cleaning. For your older HRM, you want Honda Part Number 16100-ZG9-M12, list price $42.99.

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area: Find A Honda Dealer

tjodork

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, that is an awesome procedure I will go through that...thanks so much for the feedback