HR214 motor swap ? Smoking on start up.

canucklehead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I have an aluminum deck, self propelled HR214 mower (might be a 214A if that matters). It smokes like a bugger on cold start, then stops after about 10-20 seconds. Otherwise runs fine. I adjusted valves. I think it has 10 W 30 oil, which is what Honda recommends. I did some internet searching and see some folks run thicker oil, but I really think this is a sign of worn rings. In order to replace rings I assume there would be other parts needed like head gasket and other gaskets, etc.. So time and $$ start to add up.

I see harbor Freight puts vertical shaft motors on sale for about $120, and I assume they are a Chinese Honda clone. I also see a local guy selling a GCV 160 motor for $40, but he's not sure it would fit my older model Honda. I also wonder how throttle cable linkages would match up.

Has anyone swapped out a different motor on these? Or any other suggestions on the oil burning issue? Maybe just run it into the ground? I'm trying to plan ahead for a replacement motor. I love the aluminum deck. Although I must say, my Kubota W5021 is the best mower I've ever had and it's still running but also getting a much smaller puff of blue on start up.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all,

I have an aluminum deck, self propelled HR214 mower .....worn rings. In order to replace rings I assume there would be other parts needed like head gasket and other gaskets, etc.. So time and $$ start to add up

Honda offers a number of oversized ring sets for the engine ($26.28 USD / suggested list) and head gasket is $6.74 USD. I'd guess these parts are just as available from a Honda Canada dealer, but find one and double-check. Plenty of dealers in the USA will sell/ship into Canada for a fee. Looking at the USA models parts list, there appears to be a serial number break with some running changes, so be sure to get the engine or frame (mower deck) serial number before you look-up parts. The caveat is, most USA dealers parts system will NOT recognize a Canada-market serial number, so you may want chase down the part numbers from you local Canadian dealer first:

Find a Honda Dealer in Canada:
[url]http://powerequipment.honda.ca/dealerlocator[/URL]

canucklehead

Forum Newbie
Threads
can you put oversize rings on a stock piston, and just hone cylinder? Is anything more needed than rings and head gasket?

Wouldn't it smoke all the time if it was rings? I've also heard valve guides will smoke like this when cold and once warmed up, smoke stops.

What should compression be on this? If I add oil to cylinder and check compression again it should go up...but by how much would it have to go up to tell me rings are done?