How young is too young?

mystreba

Threads
I'm going to piggy back on a recent safety thread and pose a question. I noticed my two 12 year-old boys can reach the pedals of my tractor with no problems. So how young is too young to run the tractor and cut the grass?

I'm going to wait until they're older, but it got me thinking. My dad had me mowing at 8. I was mowing for money at 12.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
When my son can reach the pedals, and displays to me he knows how and when to use them, it'll be old enough. In my mind, there is no set age.

My house is not the DMV :wink:

poncho62

Threads
I agree with Twall.....I was driving a lawn tractor at 10, Massey 35 with a Mott mower at 12.....My dad knew I could handle it, so thats why he let me......He showed me how things worked so I could understand the consequences......I never ever got hurt on them....He wouldnt let me cut some steep hills, he did that, so I guess he realized what would maybe be too much for me to handle...

Now, I could come out and say that the kids these days just aren't as responsible as we were back in the 1960, but I won't.....Its up to the parent to decide what your kids can handle.....after all, they know the kids better than we do.

mystreba

Threads
I agree with Twall.....Its up to the parent to decide what your kids can handle.....after all, they know the kids better than we do.

I agree with both you guys. As a parent, it's a tough call though. Are we too safety conscious these days?

Now, I could come out and say that the kids these days just aren't as responsible as we were back in the 1960, but I won't.....

Oops, too late - you just did! I won't let my kids do half the stuff I did at their age. Again, too safety conscious? Maybe that's why it seems that kids aren't as responsible.

poncho62

Threads
Being overprotective is probably a big part of it.....I was with my kids a bit, I guess...I just had girls no boys.....I noticed that I am really overprotective with my grand kids........

I hope to have my grandson driving my lawn tractors......His mom (my daughter) will likely have a lot to say about that........:eek:

Berniep

Threads
My daughter was mowing the flat parts at 9 years old with my dixon ztr.
She started driving it around at 8 with the deck turned off.
Not sure when she gets to hop on the new Ferris though.
Maybe when the fun wears off it.