How to prevent plastic blade snaping

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
No, this isn't a how-to on how to prevent plastic blades from snapping, it is a question!

Since the 3.5HP B&S temporarily biting the dust today, I will need to get my old 80's electric Qualcast Mow 'N' Trim out of the shed and use it to keep the grass reasonably tidy.

And, being a small electric mower, it typically takes plastic blades, which are fine, until they snap!

So basically, I've ordered 6 blades for it from eBay, but I don't want them all to snap and waste my money, so what can I do, pre, and during mow to prevent a blade snapage ?
 
So you don't loose BKBrown's answer in your other post, I'll include it in part:
"if they snap just mowing and not hitting anything, I guess I'd look for better blades or see If you can put trimmer line on it."
If you are cutting too heavy of grass it will fatigue the light weight blades and they will fail...
So switch to a better blade like was suggested ... but almost anything will eventually crack and break... that trimmer was not intended to completely replace a proper mower... :smile:KennyV
 
Sounds to me like a very flawed design, in the name of cheapness. I'd bet there isn't ANYTHING you can do to prevent those blades from snapping left and right.

Plastic deck, plastic blade....what are these things - TOYS????
 
Back
Top