How old to mow?

Lucy

Threads
If I was paying a youngster to mow my lawn, I wouldn't select anyone under the age of 16. I let my son start mowing the lawn when he was 13, but one of us was always keeping an eye out.

Travis_R

Threads
Hello, New to the forum!

I was told that I started mowing at the age of 5 :smile:(with very close supervision). I was on my grandfather's old Snapper:thumbsup: rear engine rider with 11 hp and I believe it was a 30" cut.... Slow but sure!!:biggrin:

To this day, my brother doesn't know how to run a lawnmower:frown: and he'll be 24 years old in 4 months... I am 26.

I personally don't think there should be an "age" for a child to start mowing. Just depends on the child and the supervision he or she receives... I wouldn't let a 13 year old supervise my 8 year old on a lawnmower.

Travis R

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally don't think there should be an "age" for a child to start mowing. Just depends on the child and the supervision he or she receives... I wouldn't let a 13 year old supervise my 8 year old on a lawnmower.

Travis R

have to agree 100%... :thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

patches

Threads
I started mowing the flat areas of the yard when I was 9. I didn't have a chance to use a riding mower until I bought one after I became an adult, but I drove my dad's medium-sized tractor in my young teens. I think the age kids use machinery depends on their maturity level and how willing they are to follow safety procedures.

NickNack

Threads
A lot of it depends on what your yard looks like and what kind of obstacles there are. If there are lots of trees and rocks and shrubs and hills, that will take more skill than if it is a simple flat square.

Shaun

Threads
I have to agree with NickNack about the obstacles. I started cutting with a pushmower when I was about 10 and my dad let me start using the riding mower when I was around 12 or 13.

mois25

Threads
I agree that supervision is paramount; you do not expect anyone under 16 to be responsible enough around a mower. My grandpa would never let me get near his until I was old enough.

EverGreen

Threads
I would say 14 is probably a good age to start mowing. I wouldn't shove em out the door never to check on them though. I would be standing there watching. I guess it also depends on how mature the kid is. I know some 14 year old's who ask like they are 5.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I think 16 is a good age. If someone can get a license at 16, then I think they can handle a mower. Maybe even 15 would be alright because that's when kids can start learning to drive. It really depends on your kid and how much you trust them.

david80

Threads
I think as with many things it just depends on the kid and their maturity and responsibility level. Some kids might be okay at thirteen and others may need to wait until 15 or 16.