How old to mow?

greggn

Threads
I must have been around 9-10 when I started cutting the lawn with our Wheel Horse 702 pulling a set of 5 ft gangs. I stayed off the steep hills of course. When I was bad one of my parents favorite punishments was no tractor for a week or two. Lucky I wasn't bad too often !!:laughing:

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
It depends on the person - adults can destroy a machine on a rock garden , end up in a pool or creek . A teen can master the machine .
He must know the width of the machine at all times and watch for objects .

txzrider

Threads
you sound like you have met the adults in my sons boy scout troop... one of the guys I had not met before was telling me about doing wheelies with the golfcart I had loaned the troop... of course he did not know I was the owner. Needless to say the list is very short now as far as who I will let use my equipment.

Tikal

Threads
I think that it all depends on the maturity of the person, I started mowing on a riding mower when I was 10, but before I was able to mow I sat on my dads lap while he was mowing the lawn for countless hours watching him control the tractor.
Only the parents know when it is time to let there kid have such a big responsibility:)

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I started mowing with a JD 950 and a 6 foot frail mower when I was 13. I think 90 percent of the kids I see these days need to be 15 or 16, they just aren't smart enough to handle listening to their Ipod and paying attention to the work at hand. What they tear up can be replaced, but the injuries they might suffer possibly won't as easy.
Parents just haven't brought their kids up like many of us were. We farmed 3000 acres while I was growing up, me and my sisters had to work.

BobbyR

Threads
I agree with previous posts. It depends upon the size and the maturity of the child as opposed to the age. I was using a push mower when I was 6 years old. Heck, there weren't any riding mowers back then that I'm aware of! I was also operating my dad's Farmall Cub tractor at about 8 years old and was very responsible with it. At age 15, I had a job with a contractor mowing highway right of ways with a Farmall 140, working 8 to 10 hours per day and servicing the tractor and brush hog I used.