How old is it??

Blade Runner

Threads
They are in your state. I recommend you call them and find out their specific location. Might be cheaper and better to drive their and inspect their engines before you buy it. No matter what, I would call them before buying and find out how they rate their engines and what warranty (if any) do they have on used engines. For example, at an auto salvage, they will tell you how many miles were on the engine before it was pulled. Some salvage yards will give you a waranty that the engine will run and thats it. At some places you buy as is. Therefore, I would call them and ask a ton of questions before buying.

An 8hp on up, vertical shaft will work. Even if the engine mounting bolt holes do not match, you can drill new ones. The easiest thing would be to get a newer version of what you have. I prefer Briggs I/C single cylinder engines and would put a 12hp to a 15 hp engine on a Snapper rear engine rider (unless I decide to upgrade the transmission pulley/disk system, then I might go for the 18hp).

Blade Runner

Threads
Wanted to emphasize this to you if no one has yet. Even with the engine turned off and BEFORE you start working around or near the blade or deck or pulleys, ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE SPARK PLUG WIRE FROM THE SPARK PLUG BEFORE WORKING AROUND THE BLADE OR DECK OR PULLEYS. So many people forget to do this and end up losing their fingers or worse. Now I feel better. Later.:wink:

Tikal

Threads
Ok, i am going to sell one of my snappers:( it is the one that I repainted the engine, how much should I ask for it? And what is the lowest I should except?

image-460548978.jpg

image-4010112808.jpg

image-2261710742.jpg

Thanks:) all I can say is, at least I have 2 of them! I love them;)

Tikal

Threads
Oops, the third pic was my other one:) sorry

Tikal

Threads
Blade Runner said:
Wanted to emphasize this to you if no one has yet. Even with the engine turned off and BEFORE you start working around or near the blade or deck or pulleys, ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE SPARK PLUG WIRE FROM THE SPARK PLUG BEFORE WORKING AROUND THE BLADE OR DECK OR PULLEYS. So many people forget to do this and end up losing their fingers or worse. Now I feel better. Later.:wink:

Thanks "Blade runner:) I will be careful;)

sammyslab

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to comment that in my personal opinion, the Snapper rear engine rider is one of the best built best cutting riding mowers EVER. I grew up using one that lasted over 23 years with original engine and another that lasted over 26 years with the original engine. I loved how they shifted. The single blade cut the grass the best. My favorite is the 33" blade hi vac deck. Your pics look like you have the hi vac deck.

When it came time to own my own riding mower, I searched for a Snapper rear engine rider frame with the 33" blade hi vac deck. I tore the whole thing down and rebuilt it. I used Snapper red factory paint as well. I put a "modern" 15 hp OHV Briggs engine on it, as everyone told me that was about the limit for that model (it just blew up and bent a rod). I wanted to put a 18 hp Briggs on it, but the experts said the transmission pullies could not handle the torque. You have a cool project.:thumbsup:

I also had one of the Comet Snappers (as they were called in the 60's). My dad bought a new 30" cut with a 6 hp Briggs engine. In 1966, that was the bomb! I mowed 21 yards a week with that little buggar. I made more money than I could spend and the most I received for a yard was $2.00. The good ol days!
Enjoy your purchases... Ron