how many run WOT

Yeah, you might get away with using 3/4 throttle most of the time because the governor will keep the revs where they're supposed to be, but as soon as you go up a hill or run into thicker grass, it will slow down because you haven't set the throttle lever to full speed.
 
Yeah, you might get away with using 3/4 throttle most of the time because the governor will keep the revs where they're supposed to be, but as soon as you go up a hill or run into thicker grass, it will slow down because you haven't set the throttle lever to full speed.

hmmmm...my first reaction to thicker grass is to slow the ground speed... s`pose I`ll still have to do that even at WOT....I just thought running WO would put more strain on the motor ..but I have read different, and I`m not above learning new things.....I`m glad I popped into this thread..:thumbsup:
 
T....I just thought running WO would put more strain on the motor
Again. it's not WOT per se, it just allows the governor to go to WOT if the load demands it to maintain the proper RPM. If you put the throttle lever to a lower setting where the engine actually runs slower, not only will you not have maximum power available when you need it, but the mower blade(s) will be running slower and not cutting properly. Lawnmowers are constant speed machines designed to run at a specific engine RPM and blade RPM.
 
I got it now..... engine runs for the load placed on it.. if its not at full throttle I`m not getting whats needed when that load increases...I see now why my new push mower has no throttle cable....and I thought it just idled too fast....
 
i know my hydros hate low rpms...it makes them struggle......also with the tranny fans ..you need to keep them whirring away...............but with manuals ... i drop rpms a little to shift and engage the blades..
 
Last edited:
hmmmm...my first reaction to thicker grass is to slow the ground speed... s`pose I`ll still have to do that even at WOT....I just thought running WO would put more strain on the motor ..but I have read different, and I`m not above learning new things.....I`m glad I popped into this thread..:thumbsup:

When my diesel tractor hits a stand of high, tough grass, I can see the RPM's begin to drop on the tach so I immediately reduce ground speed until the RPM's build back up to where they were, and gradually increase ground speed back to where it was. Having a tach is a great asset to keeping your engine on the power peak.
 
thats another idea swimming in my brain....a tachometer for every mower!.....ill have to buy in bulk to get a discount :frown:
 
There are digital phototachometers available that will tell you your no-load RPM. Not bad money either, if I recall, about $80.00.:cool:
 
Back
Top